XXXI.

"John may not understand, but I can see through your crappy schemes. But jf he gets hurt.....you're the first person i'm coming after."

The ominous phrase ran through my mind unceasingly, somewhat making feel uncomfortable. I know John can protect himself, but it was only to a certain extent. And with someone as powerful as Arlo, self defense hardly lessened the odds of him losing.

My pencil clattered onto the surface of the wooden desk before I raked my hands through my navy tresses.

Why can't I stop thinking about this...? I did the right thing. But.....why does it feel so wrong?

In an instant, I stood up. The chair screeched against the varnished wood as I bit my lip with a frenetic anxiety.

This is no good. I'm freaking myself out. Arlo wouldn't dare hurt John while i'm here.....right?

I need to clear my head.

"Delta...?"

Blyke's voice shook me out of my anxious entrapment. My eyes made contact with his golden irises, filling my stomach with a warm feeling that momentarily shielded me from my paranoid trance.

"Are you okay?" He stood up and grabbed my hand gently, making me jump a little.

"Y-yeah," I smiled weakly and gestured to my desk, littered with all my make up work. "It's just.....studying is really burning me out." I lied.

"Oh damn. Sorry..." He scratched his head embarrassingly. "I'm sorry if I was moving too fast. I just didn't want you to be behind-"

"It's not you." I squeezed his hand reassuringly and grinned. "I promise."

"Okay." A light flush emerged on his cheeks. "I mean....if you'd like to...w-we can go out to take a break and um....."

I stared at him blankly, his face immediately turning red as a tomato.

"I-I mean...!" He stuttered. "L-like just the two of us together, unless you don't want to-!"

".....Like a date?" I clarified innocently.

"H-huh...?"

"I mean," I said, "I've never been on a date, but based on your flustered reaction, isn't that what you're asking me? To go on a date?"

He avoided my eyes.

"Y-yeah."

I giggled softly and pinched his cheek with my free hand.

"You're so adorable. Yeah, we can go on a date."

"Really?" His eyes lit up like a child on Christmas day.

"Of course." I smiled softly. "I've been waiting for you to ask."

:;

I mindlessly walked hand in hand with Blyke, sipping my delicious boba beverage as I swam through my thoughts.

"What's on your mind?"

Blyke's honey shaded eyes searched mine with a strong interest, genuinely curious about what could be running through my mind.

"Nothing." I replied slowly, careful to not let my worries spill out.

"Delta...."

"Huh?"

His hand suddenly pulled me to a nearby park bench. I sat down and smoothed the ruffles of my skater skirt before absentmindedly tugging at the hem, my other hand still entrapped by his grasp.

"You don't have to lie to me, you know. Ever since that incident at Kovoro Mall, you've been so quiet and distant that it feels like its been awhile since i've seen you genuinely happy." He paused for a moment, contemplating in his head of what to say next.

Blyke's eyes burned through mine, his hand skimming the surface of my hot cheek.

"Delta, I.....care about you. Very much so. Whatever you're struggling with, I promise I can and will help you."

My mouth was agape as I absorbed the meaning of his words. I squeezed his hand and inhaled.

"Blyke...I..."

I was vaguely aware of his lips inches away from mine. My head felt intoxicated with ecstasy as he tentatively brushed his lips softly against mine.

I couldn't tell him. Here I was on a date with a boy I was infatuated with, yet I was so worried about John. John--another boy I cared immensely about, but he was someone Blyke resented.

These were grievances that I couldn't confide in Blyke for.

The touch of his mouth felt tender and endearing, electrifying every nerve in my body.
But despite the caress of his fingers and the movement of his lips, something felt......off.

A heavy feeling of darkness settled in the pit of my stomach, instantly engulfing the sense of warmth that festered in my body. The disorienting sense of ecstasy and infatuation flushed away and became replaced with a familiar suffocating and angered aura.

"....I can't."

I pulled away from his face and exhaled breathlessly, aware of the crimson emanating from my eyes. My hands vigorously shook with fear as I scooted farther away from an astonished Blyke.

"What?"

"Blyke....I can't do this. It's just that.....I can't let you get involved with what's troubling me, because its not your issue to solve." I confessed earnestly.

Before he could speak, I stood up. The dark feeling intensified, instinctively making me wince. I gripped my chest as my eyes began to glow brighter.

The bonding technique.....John....could it be? Did Arlo....do something to him...?

"Delta....!" He came over to me as I struggled to gather air in my lungs.

I pulled myself away and shook my head, feeling more suffocated by his body pressed close to mine.

"I-I have to go." I stammered as my body became outlined in crimson.

"I'm sorry, Blyke." :;