XXIX.

My navy hair danced against the breeze I swung back and forth on Irel's old swing set, taking a deep breath of fresh air despite the throbbing protest from my ribs.

The garden was my favorite part of the mansion. Miss Rose had a team of gardeners she hand picked herself, never failing to command them around whenever they came to work on the garden. It was the only time I've seen her deviate from her kind and elegant demeanor, which was replaced with an assertive tone whenever she barked orders at them.

And every time they came, the finishing product was always perfect, just as Miss Rose expected.

There was not a single blade of grass overgrown or browning on any square inch of the floor, with the hedges lined and trimmed into rectangular green perfection. An array of different flowers stood with an unorthodox posture, planted in straight lines in their designated flowerbeds, emulating a lovely scent intermixed with freesia, lilac, lavender—and of course, roses.

I stared at the stone fountain diligently spurting water, softly trickling water into the lower basin. Water lilies waltzed in circles, sometimes pirouetting together or alone around the lower basin.

I smiled and closed my eyes.

Maybe being home wasn't all that bad.

"Delta! I have a surprise for you!"

I opened my eyes at the sound of Irel's voice and focused on the patio doors. He waved at me and looked back into the house, ushering someone to come out.

I gasped.

"J-John...?" I sputtered as I fell off the wooden swing, dusting my bare knees in a haste before I closed the space between us.

"Hiya, Del." He greeted breathlessly as I wrapped my around his waist like boa constrictors.

"H-how did you—? W-what—?" I sputtered over my words.

"Well, you weren't answering my calls for this entire week. So I tried calling you on your computer and Irel was happening to use it. He told me how distressed you've been lately and invited me to come over." He grinned at Irel before they fist bumped.

"I...I..." my eyes shifted between both of their amused expressions before I gripped both of them in a tight hug. "Thank you!"

"Okay sis, you're kinda crushing me...." Irel hinted in strained tone.

I immediately let go.

"Oops, sorry." I scratched the back of my head sheepishly.

"Well, i'll leave you two kids alone. Holler if you need anything." He grinned and walked back into the house.

"I can't believe you're actually here...." I stared at him before his cheeks flushed into a bright crimson.

"It's really not that big of a deal..." John scratched the back of his head nervously as we took a seat on the flat edge of the fountain.

"Pfft, I think if you were under house arrest for week you'd be reacting the same way."

John looked around the lavish garden and the mansion, swinging his head around in an animated motion before looking at me pointedly.

"I mean, if I had a mansion like this I would never leave." He pouted a little before I rolled my eyes.

"You get used to it....I prefer to be at Wellston." I admitted quietly.

"Why?"

I peered into his eyes, like warm honey bathing in a pot of glimmering gold.

"Because you're there."