XXVII.

"Oh? So you four are Wellston students?"

Blyke nodded and clenched his jaw in frustration before speaking.

"Sir, if your review the camera footage from earlier, you'll see that this whole thing is just a misunderstanding." He said knowledgeably to the officer, keeping his voice even despite his angry aura.

"Hmph. I always knew that guy was a snake." The officer muttered, referencing to the ability vendor.

"Er...sir, I prefer you do it now. Our friend still needs medical attention." Isen added, shooting a worried glance in my direction.

"Alright, alright." He replied irritably. "But if you kids do anything funny-I don't care if she's injured or not-i'll keep you detained for another hour. Got that?"

My friends narrowed their coldly before muttering an icy yes sir as he left.

My head lolled on Blyke's shoulder as I used the remnants of my mental willpower to grasp onto my weak consciousness. He comfortingly intertwined his fingers with my limp hand, squeezing it occasionally to ensure I would stay awake.

"Hang in there, Del." He said softly.

I stared blankly at the floor, focusing on the thick blood whistling in the back of my throat as I exhaled, putting pressure against my broken ribs.

I still couldn't believe I couldn't bear the impact of that car. It never happens-and if it does, it's rare. Was my aloof and distracted demeanor able to weaken my barrier so effectively? The pain was something I should've been used to by now. Yet I haven't felt it since....since....

I coughed violently, crumbling to the ground as I spat my blood onto the grated floor.

"Attempt fifty-two: failure. Subject can only withhold barrier for sixty-three seconds before collapsing. Regeneration factor imminent." He said as I glared at him through the glass window.

My legs shook as I steadied my body against the concrete wall, shuddering in fear at the sharp projectiles threatened to cut me again. Chagrin pulsed through my veins as my eyes began to glow towards the window.

"Delta," she said. "Don't."

Her fingertips skimmed my skin, immediately draining my angered aura on contact.

Shnk!

The thrum of knives edged closer to me as I closed my eyes.

"Are you kidding me?"

Isen's voice made my vision melt back into reality as he held up his arms, restrained by the power suppressive cuffs.

"They really think we can be held by these dinky cuffs?" He scoffed, his glowing eyes narrowing. "I'm offended. I can break out of these easily."

Blyke shifted.

"Hey, cut it out! You're going to get us in more trouble!" He glared.

"Isen, these cuffs weren't designed for people like us." Remi said.

"Then what's the point?"

Remi sighed at Isen's ignorance, furrowing her brows before formulating another response.

"Alright, then answer me this. Earlier, why did you let yourselves get caught by the security? You're clearly stronger than him."

"Well," Isen thought, "I didn't want to get screwed over later on."

"Yeah, he's got authorities backing him up. And who wants to stand against them?" Blyke added.

"Exactly. It's the same deal with these cuffs." She gestured, staring at the bulky restraints. "They're perfect for restraining mid-tiers. But for us, they serve as more of a reminder. 'Don't cross the line. You may be strong, but the authorities will always stop you.'"

I sat up and studied Remi's expression, contorted with gloom and amicably sorrowful expression.

It reminds me so much of her....

"You know....i've been thinking about this alot lately." Remi continued, staring at me. "I get that the authorities are made if some really powerful people, but what if someone like
you-" she said and gestured to me "-Seraphina or Arlo decided to challenge them? You could've torn the entire mall and blew through the mall reinforcements in order to catch the vendor. You guys could cause some serious damage if you wanted to. But......it doesn't make sense that the authorities would let people as strong as you guys roam free without some kind of condition."

I looked down at my hands as they anxiously awaited my answer.

"You're not wrong, Remi. But it's not that simple." I replied deplorably. "We don't have as much freedom as you think."

"What you talking about? You can literally do whatever you guys wanna do. You don't even have to show up to class." Blyke argued, jealousy tainting his voice.

"I'm not talking about simple liberties like that, Blyke. The god-tiers that you know of-me, Serpahina, and Arlo-we're all kind of....crippled. You three have so much more freedom than we've had in our lives, probably."

"What are you talking about?"

"Look," Remi cut in. "Think about their obsessive qualities. Seraphina's so bent on being perfect, about keeping her image pristine for everyone else. And Arlo--all he can think about is keeping order, using his title as King to ensure everyone's 'in their rightful' place." She looked at me sadly. "And Delta's beliefs are the exact opposite of what Arlo wants-tearing a social hierarchy down and wishing for everyone to be equal. It's what the authorities are against now, what superheroes are condemned for."

"Rebellion." Isen finished knowledgeably as Remi nodded.

"Right. But that's just my theory." She said.

Theory, huh?

"But now that you mention it....the idea seems pretty realistic. If the authorities want to stay at the top, they need a reliable way to keep the strongest people in line." Isen stroked his thoughtfully.

"Okay, then what about all the superheroes running around? They're all high-tiers, but the authorities haven't done much to pressure them." Blyke replied.

"Stupid Blyke. Don't you keep up with current events? Superheroes don't act in compliance with authorities' wishes. Then a mysterious group called EMBER appears and starts killing them off...." Isen hinted.

Blyke's eyes widened as soon as it clicked in his head.

"There's no way-"

"That's right my man! When there's an insane threat that refuses to be controlled, you have no way but to get rid of it." Isen chuckled darkly. "So Remi, when you asked me to write EMBER article..."

"....I want the school to be more wary of its existence." She replied earnestly.

"And I want you to slowly introduce the idea that the authorities and EMBER are connected." :;