CHAPTER 10: She's Not So Joyful

Laying in bed with you in her arms, Chaeyoung can't help but hold your body closer to her own after you fall asleep. You nodded off and fell into a deep slumber rather quickly, leaving Chaeyoung to be with her thoughts. She's so undeniably happy, but her father's slight nature against it still rings in the back of her mind. She looks down to your peaceful face, the exhaustion seems to just fade away from your features with every passing second that you spend slumbering in her arms. The moonlight seeps through the lace layer of your blinds, hitting your face. Her hand comes up and finds solace on your cheek, caressing it gently as your even breathing subconsciously fastens a little at the contact. Her head falls back down against the pillow, thinking about the past two weeks and about Sooyoung.

< ABOUT A WEEK AFTER THE CAFE INCIDENT >

No tears fall this time around, she refuses to let any roll down her face already having shed enough tears for Sooyoung in the past. She does nothing; only leans back against the bed cushioned frame of her bed, stewing in her own booming silence, staring through her open window panes. It was a nice sunny day; one that she would normally find herself enjoying out at the park, enjoying the beautiful sunset that's due to disappear in about 20 or so minutes. With her hands buried in her hair, she slumps down, body practically giving out beneath her.

"Chaeyoung, can you see who's at the door please?" Climbing out of the comfort of her bed, she trudges her way through the halls, fingers tracing the little bumps on the wall as she reaches the end of the stairs. The door creaks open slowly, Chaeyoung not wanting to come face to face with the beautiful golden-hour sun rays coming from the outside. She lifts her head up, squinting slightly. She isn't able to make out what the person looks like because of the rays, but as she brings a hand up to shield her eyes, she sees a face she is all too familiar with. "Sooyoung."

"Chaeyoungie-yah, how are you?" The words struggled to leave Chaeyoung's mouth for a moment. She was surprised, but not entirely, to see the girl standing before her on her doorstep. The wind picks up and her hair dances about wildly. Alice, who happens to be behind her, runs interference before she has to leave for a dinner with a friend.

"Oh. Hello, Joy. What brings you here?"

"Alice, hi! I'm actually here to see Roseanne."

"I'm not sure that's the best idea-" before Alice is able to complete her sentence, Chaeyoung brings a hand up to rest it on her sister's shoulder.

"It's okay. You should get going before you're late."

Alice searches her sister's eyes for any signs telling her to stay with her instead or to come up with an excuse to get her out of it, but to no avail, Chaeyoung seemed to be completely on board with whatever was about to happen. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" With a curt nod coming from the latter, Alice gives her a tight squeeze and mutters a hasty goodbye before making her way through the front door. Both Chaeyoung and Sooyoung stand in each other's company, awkwardly mulling in the silence, waiting for either one to break the silence first.

"Um... Can I come in?"

"Oh! Uh- yeah, sure, I guess." Kicking her shoes off, Sooyoung walks into the familiar household, seeing if much has changed since she had last been inside. There is a new family photo on the wall, a section in the bookshelf had been cleared out to make room for knick-knacks, a small engraved stone cross sits in the midst of it all.

"That's new."

Chaeyoung smiles gently at the memory it brings her. "Yeah, we got it not too long ago." It was when you started becoming close to Alice and Clare. You were shopping one day and happened to run into them both and spent some time with them. Wandering into a bookstore, you stumbled upon a Christian section and that's where the three of you see a variety of things on display. After mentioning how much she liked the look and symbolism of the stone cross selection, you bought it for Chaeyoung's mother as a gift.