CHAPTER 15: Back Home

"Back at last!" You can feel the floor beneath you rumble slightly as a group of people rush toward you. Lisa and Jisoo jump on you, Jennie squeezes the living life out of you, Jackson lifts you up into the air, and Namjoon gives you a hug after everyone has had their turn.

"Whoa!" As soon as you turn around, you're faced with Chaeyoung's mother, Clare, who hugs you and holds on for a good little while as well. You chuckle, hugging her back as your group of friends and yourself start to talk about the trip. Since you had just arrived back late last night, you didn't get to see anyone. Chaeyoung was actually busy with her parents so she couldn't come to see you, but that just meant you got to spend time with your best friend after God knows how long. "Where's Chaeyoung?"

"Oh, she's still at home with Alice. They'll be here shortly."

Everything continues on. The girls noticed you were wearing Chaeyoung's favourite ring on your ring finger and asked all sorts of questions and didn't hide the fact that they were excited. "No, no. We're not engaged. You guys are insane." You laugh with them a little, assuring them that it's meant to symbolise a promise to get to that stage. It's been about three weeks since you were with her and you were hoping to see her... well, right now. But she still isn't around. You get to sit back and enjoy the service today, not needing to worry about running any slides, setting up any lights, nothing. Just be an attending member. All of your friends are busy serving today so you sit leisurely on your own in the middle — that is until Hyejin joins you.

"Y/N, hey. You're sitting on your own?" Not remembering straight away that she comes to your church frequently now, it takes you a little bit by surprise, which is evident apparently because she offers you a light chuckle. "May I sit here?" You nod, shuffling over to the next seat to give her some space. "Thanks."

"Honestly, I forgot you come here now."

"I could tell. You had that look on your face, you know?" You chuckle to yourself. There is still a little while until the service begins so you start talking about nothing and everything. Mostly reminiscing in your old high school days. You remember now why you both were so close. As much as you used to claim to loathe her, you can't admit you regret knowing her and having her in your life. And now, funnily enough, you find yourself enjoying her company more than you would have cared to admit a mere six or so months ago.

++

After praying for the food, everyone had gotten their plates for dinner. It was the first Sunday back of the month which means you had a big community barbecue. You love cooking, which means you were currently grilling some sausages with Jackson while everyone went to find their seats. Just as soon as you were about to call Chaeyoung to ask where she is, she waltzes through the back gates. Your eyes go to her instantly and you can tell she's looking for you as she greets friends. A smile falls upon your face as soon your girl finds you and makes her way over. Jackson finishes up his batch of sausages just as soon as she comes over and greets her warmly. "Roseanne! Where have you been?!" He crushes her in a quick hug before moving to put his tongs down.

"Sorry, I was helping Alice fix up some stuff around the house," she looks back over to you and you feel your heartbeat increase a little when she rests her hand on the back of your neck. "Hi, beautiful."

"Hi," Stretching out the 'i' sound, it isn't hard to miss the lovey-dovey look that you have in your eyes, so Jackson leaves to go eat and to let you both have a moment together. "Have you eaten?" She shakes her head. "Well then, take these. They're fresh, grab some salad, have a feast. Our friends saved us a seat beside them. I'll join you shortly, okay?"

"Okay, but wait," she puts the plate you gave her down, moving you away from the barbecue for a moment to give you a proper hug. Putting your tongs down as well, you give her a tight hug, missing her physical presence. "I missed you, baby." She whispers with the fact that the majority of people at church don't actually know you're together yet. God, the things you would do to just kiss her right now astound you, but you know better than to act on it. As if reading your mind, Chaeyoung plants a kiss on your cheek before grabbing the plate you gave her, waltzing away and leaving you with a wink and lip bite. You stare at her shockingly, shaking your head with a laugh.