CHAPTER 9: A Memorable Dinner

"Fantastic! I'm looking forward to working with you again. Let's organise flight dates and accommodation and call it a day." It's currently 8:00 AM and you're on a conference call with some clients in Los Angeles. Because of the time difference, you had to get up a tad earlier than you normally would to catch them before they went back to their respective homes. As far as you're aware, it should be about 4:00 PM over there now. You've been on the call with them for about an hour, discussing the logistics and details for an upcoming film project that you'll be DOP (Director of Photography) for. Since it's a big project, the cash flow, as well as the credit you'll get from this, are not to be missed. "Thanks, everyone, for this opportunity and for all your efforts! I'll be in contact, let me know if there is anything else you need from my end."

Your clients hang up after a quick goodbye, stating their excitement for the project and even more excitement for having you onboard. Your friend, Christian, remains in the call to chat with you for a little bit before going back to sleep too. "Yah. 왜 아직 안 자? (Why aren't you going to sleep yet?)"

"'Yah'? Yah! It's 오빠 (big bro) to you!"

"Funny joke, mate."

"Whatever, 여동생 (little sis)."

"How are things going over in Seoul? Sydney is missin' ya."

"Yeah, I miss it too. Just keeping busy with a few shows here and there, working on some videos occasionally. But hey, I'm gonna hit the hay cause I know you've gotta get going to a shoot soon and it's too early here. Come visit me in Seoul some time, I miss messing with you."

"Absolutely, I'd love to finally go visit SK! Maybe I'll bring a girl with me; we shall see."

"Wait, what-"

"Okay, we'll chat soon, Chris. Bye!" Quickly ending the call, you immediately receive a flood of texts from Christian. Laughing to yourself, you quickly send him a picture of Chaeyoung cuddling into you before muting his conversation for the time being, leaving him hanging in his own suspense. Setting your phone back down onto the charging pad, you head back to your bedroom to get ready for a day of work and pack a spare set of clothing for the gym later.

Having to arrive on site at 9:30 AM, unfortunately, means that you'll be stuck in the morning's peak-hour traffic. Tapping along to the music blasting through your speakers, you observe your surroundings. Nothing aside from the usual overflowing surge of cars attempting to merge onto the highway. The sun is out with your standard looking clouds in the sky, a few car horns going off somewhere around you interrupting any signs of peace you might have. "Incoming call from Chipmunk Cheeks."

"여보세요? (Hello?)"

"Hehe. Babe, are you at work yet?"

"Not quite yet, the traffic is moving along slowly so I should be there in about ten or so minutes. Had a conference call early this morning, though. What's up, sunshine?"

"Well, I was wondering if you were free tonight? My dad has to go to a meeting tomorrow night on short notice and was hoping we could do it tonight instead."

Waiting for a red light to ensure you won't need to be driving, you quickly open up your calendar before committing to any new plans; you've made that mistake enough times already in the past to learn from it. After confirming dinner tonight, Chaeyoung continues to accompany you the rest of the way to work with her delicate voice projecting itself through the speakers of your car.

++

"That's perfect! Wonderful stuff! Keep it up, Y/N." About seven and a half hours in, you've come towards the end of the first day of shooting. With some criticism here and there from people that underestimate you because of your age and gender, you quickly step up to prove them wrong and begin to earn praises from such nay-sayers. You continue, keeping up the good work, getting the shots that even the Director wasn't able to think of. Originally, another one of your contacts in the industry was meant to be a camera operator for this particular project but he had to pull out at the last minute and recommended to have you step in for him. You were warned about the subtle sexism that some of the higher up's on this shoot thrived in, but being you, you just showed up to do your job and quickly shut them up in that process. "Thanks for a good shoot day. I'll see you all tomorrow!" The director quickly takes his leave, leaving a few Runners and the Producer behind.