chapter two

Without Jerome, Jane was left to a couple of bad options for a legal guardian, one of which was the cruel man who had recently come out to them as their father. Shortly after her brother was sent to Arkham Asylum, she disappeared from the police precinct, not wanting to be forced in an arrangement she didn't want. Jane was finally free. She wasn't about to be tied down to another one of her abusive relatives.

Jane had never experienced freedom before. She was allowed to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted and didn't have to worry about making a wrong step and then get a beating for it. When she left, she hung around many different places all over Gotham. Until she found a nice little diner and got a job as a waitress. She started working every day, making enough money for her to rent a cheap apartment and get by. She quickly learned that guys really liked red heads as tips were her main source of income.

This was the happiest she had ever been. The idea of being free and independence had been very foreign to Jane, and now that she had a taste of it, she was never letting go.

Through her journeys, Jane tried to keep her innocence as much as possible. She didn't want to be around murder or abuse anymore. She wanted to help people and spread kindness. She would try to give little of the little she had as much as possible. She spent several months this way. She would repeat the same routine and feel like she was living a dream.

That was until the break out.

Jane remembered very clearly were she was and what she was doing when she heard the news of Arkham Asylum residents breaking out.

Jane was at work, cleaning the countertops. She had just come back from volunteering and was in a good mood because a cute boy had complimented her, calling her eyes pretty and doe-like. It was the most normal she had ever felt.

The news was playing over her during her night shift as she wiped and she was half listening when she heard, "This just in: We got word that several patients from Arkham Asylum have broken out and are on the loose. Please be on the look-out for any of the following patients and be sure to call the G.C.P.D if you see any of them. They are seen as insane and dangerous so please do not interact. The names of the patients are as follow: Barbara Kean, Jerome Valeska-"

The moment his name was announced, Jane stopped what she was doing and froze. Jerome, free? She thought. She started to get scared. What if he found her? What if he tried to kill her after she refused to let herself go down with him for the murder of their mother? She couldn't focus on anything else. Her death was coming. She had to prepare for the worst and leave town as soon as possible.

Her co-worker, Katy, had stopped what she doing and frowned, standing right next to Jane. "Hey Jane, one of those crazies has the same last name as you." Jane slowly turned her head toward Katy. Katy's eyes widen as she looked between Jane and Jerome's face on the tv screen. "Oh..my... You look like him too.." She started backing away from her as Jane's eyes went wide and felt her face losing color. "Oh my god are you related to that psychopath?" Katy exclaimed.

Jane was distraught. She was panicked and didn't what to do. Katy looked at her like a monster, all because she was related to the psychopath that killed her mother - who might try to kill her. More and more people in the diner overheard Katy and started to stare at the red-headed freak. Jane did the only thing she could think of- She ran out of there like her life depended on it.

Even in the circus, no one looked at her like a monster because she never was. She was the scapegoat of the family. She was quiet and didn't create a fuss but would be the one members of her family would hit to let out aggression.

She ran and ran till she got home to her apartment, the last part of the normal life she had built for herself. She had hoped the normalcy would've lasted at least a little bit longer. Jane got to her door and opened and closed it quickly. She was breathing heavily but didn't care. She stayed leaning against the door as she tried to continue to process the fact that her brother had escaped and was out.