chapter four

Jane's head was sweaty as she finished her round with Alfred. Her right fist connected to his left hand and then her left connected with his right. She repeated the pattern over and over again as he yelled over her "1, 2, 3!" Finally Alfred called time and she slowed then came to a complete stop.

She smiled and took her gloves off. "Thank you for this."

Alfred took his gloves off as well. "Of course, Miss Valeska. You're getting better every day."

"I feel better every day."

A couple days had passed since she started with Alfred, and she felt herself getting increasingly stronger. She felt so much better, letting out all the aggression that she held dormant for most of her life. Her face was looking better as well. Her swollen eye had decreased in size and her cuts were healing up nicely.

Bruce walked inside the room and handed her a towel. "You should come to the Children's Hospital Benefit tonight."

Jane made a face. "I don't know if I would fit in there."

Bruce sighed. "Come on. I really don't wanna go, and it would be great for someone else to be there with me."

Alfred decided to jump into the conversation as well, believing as well it would be good for the young girl. "Master Bruce has to go because his parents were huge donors to the organization. We'll only be there for a little bit, don't worry." He smiled before continuing. "Plus there's gonna be a magician."

Jane sighed. She wasn't a fan of magicians. Her mother dated one once and he used to beat her and her brother often with whips from his show. But as she looked between Bruce and Alfred, she thought maybe she did deserve to go out and have fun. She was with two people who she knew weren't gonna hurt her. Jane gave both a tired smile. "What does one even wear to a Benefit?"

--------------------------

Alfred, Bruce and Jane had just arrived to the Benefit, both not very excited about being there. With some help, Jane was able to find something to wear. She wore a black cocktail dress that landed low thigh. Her hair was in its natural red waves and she even put a coat of mascara one. She was excited about being able to dress up a little bit for a night; she never was able to before.

"This is a waste of time," Bruce announced as they reached the main entrance of the room. Cameras were flashing all over and it was making Jane nervous. She didn't realize this many cameras would be here. She wasn't used to it.

"We had a deal, didn't we, Master Bruce?" Alfred replied. Jane was not around when this deal was made so she hadn't a clue what it was about. All she knew was Bruce wanted company and that's why she was there. "Besides, there's gonna be a magician. You like magicians, don't you?" He nudged Bruce's shoulder with his own.

Bruce frowned. "No, I don't." He turned to Alfred. "I hate magicians."

"Me too," Jane agreed. She shivered with bad memories.

Just as Alfred was about to say something, the group heard a woman say, "Excuse me." They all turned to see Dr. Thompkins. Jane hadn't seen her since her brother got arrested and she had changed since then, wearing a very nice black dress and pearls. "I'm Lee Thompkins." She turned at Jane and smiled, rather pitifully, "It's good to see you again, Jane." Jane returned the smile. She turned back to Bruce. "I work with James Gordon and he's mentioned you. I saw you and thought-"

"Of course," Bruce interrupted as they shook hands. "It's very nice to meet you." Bruce motioned over to Alfred. "This is my guardian, Alfred Pennyworth." They shook hands as well.