chapter twenty-one

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

Seven months later......

             Jane and Laney let go of each other's lips as they sat next to each other in the community area. Seven months since their night in Jane's cell had passed and not much had happened. A couple more visits and months later, they no longer cared about being secretive about their relationship. When the five month mark hit, they started kissing in the community area. Luckily due to how drugged up and crazy the other inmates were, no homophobic murderer tried anything with them. And for that, they were both thankful.

Laney held onto Jane's right hand as they sat next to each other, watching the world around them try to tear each other apart. Some of the inmates had started fighting again, tearing each other apart. Jane thought that she heard it was because one tried to steal the other's jello not too long ago. The inmates got really aggressive when it came to their food.

Jane glanced at Laney to her right, who was staring at Jane with soft eyes while caressing her thumb on Jane's hand. She turned her head fully with a smile. "What?"

Laney took a moment, still looking at Jane. "You're just beautiful."

Jane smiled wider as she went in for another kiss. She couldn't believe that she found this kind of love in Arkham. This was the kind of stuff little girls dreamed about having, a true fairytale romance. 

The kiss only lasted a short moment as a booming voice carried through the area. "Valeska!" 

Jane and Laney separated and both looked towards the guard who called out to her. When they made eye contact from across the room, the guard continued. "Visitor."

Jane frowned. A visitor? Who the hell was visiting her? She didn't have any family that cared about her, nevertheless would want to visit her in Arkham. Jane turned to Laney and stood. Laney, who had heard much about Jane's life, also had a frown on her face as she was also confused. "I'll be right back." 

Jane walked toward the open bar doors and jumped a little when the door was slammed shut behind her. She followed the guard with weary. She had no idea where she was going as Jane had never had a visitor before. Jane still couldn't believe one could even visit someone in a place like Arkham. 

When the one-on-one visiting room door opened, Jane was still left in confusion. All by himself sat a tall man with a large forehead and beady eyes. He wore scrubs, but didn't look like he would work anywhere near a hospital. When his eyes landed on Jane, they went crazy. His mouth broke out into a weird smile and his eyes had gone very wide. Jane eyed him even more. Who was this man? And why did he want to talk to Jane?

Jane was shoved in by the guard and the door was slammed shut, leaving her alone with this strange man. The man stood from the seat but didn't make an attempt to get closer to her. "Oh my... Jane Valeska."

Jane slowly took a step further into the room. "Uh, do I know you?"

The man continued as if Jane didn't say anything. "Killed thirteen people in a pharmacy and then Katy Daniels. Sent to Arkham because you started hallucinating your dead brother and voices. And most importantly, the Jerome Valeska's sister."

Jane's face fell when the man finished speaking. Her tone was very forceful as she spoke another time. "Who the hell are you?" This man knew a lot about her and clearly knew a lot about her brother. 

The man smiled wider, while staring at her with crazy eyes. "I have always heard you had those big doe eyes that said you couldn't do anything wrong, but wow they didn't give them justice." He cleared his throat as Jane stared harder at him. She was increasingly getting more and more creeped out by him. The man motioned to himself. "My name is Dwight. Huge fan of your brother and your work."

Jane knew he meant that as a compliment but she took it as an insult. She was nothing like Jerome. 

"What do you want?" Jane took another step closer, still weary of him. "If you came to talk about Jerome or what I did, then you might as well just turn around and leave."

Dwight shook his head profusely. "As much as I would love that, No. That's not why I'm here." His eyes returned to a crazed state. "I'm here to let you know I'm bringing Jerome back from the dead."

Jane's face fell as well as her heart. Jerome? Alive? No.. No

Jerome, alive?

Yes please. We could have so much fun with him.

Screw the imaginary one you created. The real one is going to be way more fun!

After a moment, Jane found her voice again. "You don't want to do that, Dwight. Trust me. He's better off dead."

That seemed to make Dwight mad as he narrowed his eyes at the young teenage girl. "Your brother was a visionary. He's our savior. His ideas run through so many of us, and we need his guidance to follow through with his philosophies." He leaned across the table. "I came so you could join. We see you as the next messiah, someone to take his place. I want you to be there when we resurrect him. It's what Jerome would've wanted."

This man was clearly out of his mind. What Jerome would've wanted? Jane thought in disbelief. Jerome would've wanted me to be dead!

"No! Dwight, please don't do this." She was getting desperate. Jerome would come for her. He would kill her or torture her or worse. "He's a monster. Trust me, I grew up with him. Jerome needs to stay dead or Gotham and all of us are going to be doomed." Jane felt her breathing getting more uncontrollable. A panic attack was definitely on its way. 

Dwight frowned with confusion as he stared at his idol's younger sister, the only alive blood relative he was aware of. He was confused why she wouldn't be happy to have Jerome back. He could save her and all of them from the inner pain they all shared. He shook his head. He would just have to show her how good her life would be with Jerome back. "It's happening tomorrow." Dwight turned towards the door, ready to start his attempts at resurrection. "I hope to see you there, Jane Valeska."

 --------------------------

As Jane was thrown back into the community area, her breathing was starting to get more and more out of control. She fell to her knees, clutching her chest. Jerome couldn't come back. Jane couldn't go back to the life she lived before all of this happened just over a year ago. She couldn't go back to the abuse. 

Her vision was getting blurry as she vaguely heard Laney running towards her and crouching down next to her. "Jane? Are you okay?"

Jane wanted to tell her. She wanted Laney to tell her everything was going to be okay and Jerome wasn't coming back. But Jane knew deep down it was going to happen and she couldn't help but think of the worst. "J-J-Jerome.."

"Jerome's not real." She heard Laney tell her. "He's a part of your hallucination. Take a deep breath, Jane. In and out. You're going to be okay. I'm right here."

And while normally, that always helped Jane start to recover, this time was different. Her breathing increasingly got worse. Jerome was going to come for her. And there was nothing Jane could do to stop it.