chapter eight

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                It was around 10:30am on a quiet Monday morning when the news was broken to Jane. Earlier that morning, Jane's shift was supposed to start with Katy. However at 8:00am, Katy had yet to show up for their 7:00am shift. Jane's boss, Joe, was not happy. He had began calling her like crazy with no answer. Jane had a bad feeling but she decided to ignore it. Katy was a wild girl; she probably just had a crazy night and was hungover. That was until Jane was in the middle of refilling a customer's coffee when she heard it.

The news was playing at a moderate volume, since many customers liked to watch the news while they ate their breakfast. The newswoman began very seriously. "Now everyone, the police reported a missing person earlier this morning. This is a picture of the young woman who is missing. If anyone has seen her or know anything, please call the authorities immediately. She goes by Katy Daniels and was last seen leaving a club with a shorter woman wearing a black baseball hat." 

Jane froze as she looked up at a smiling image of Katy on the television. She looked happy and beautiful. The life in her eyes was clear and she looked just as cheery as normal. Without noticing, Jane started accidentally spilling the hot coffee onto the customer's hand. The customer yelped and Jane was startled again, quickly apologizing when she realized what she had done. "Oh my! I am so sorry. I didn't mean to do that." She started wiping the table down where she slipped with her cloth. Jane quickly scurried away, placing the coffee back onto the burner. 

Joe came up to her, looking annoyed. "Jane, you are on thin ice. You can't be doing that!" 

Jane nodded, extremely apologetic. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. It's just.." She pointed up to the television, Katy's face still being shown before quickly being switched to a story about a panda having a baby in the zoo. 

Joe's face dropped. "Oh my..."

"How sad... I wonder what happened to her." Jane looked to her left to see her brother leaning against the counter. He had a playful smile on while staring at the television, making Jane extremely suspicious. Did she have something to do with this? Jane couldn't remember if she blacked out the night before. She had thought she was fine; she had been in control for the past couple days now, right?

He looked back at her. "Don't you want to know what happened to her?"

Come on.... you know you want to.

Aren't you dying to know?

You're curious if you did anything to her.

Are you sure you're the one in control? 

You might not even be in control right now. 

Jane was getting overwhelmed as she went to grab her cloth to distract herself by wiping tables down. However, when she looked down, her hands were full of blood. It was fresh and covered her entire hands. She involuntarily yelled as she looked at her hands before trying to wipe it off. 

"Jane!" Joe's left hand went straight for her right shoulder. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

Jane blinked and the blood disappeared from her hands. They were back to the way they were: pale and clean. She felt her cheeks starting to flare a little as she realized how she must look.

Wow, you're really losing your mind now.

If the blood wasn't real, how can you be so sure that any of this is?