chapter ten

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                 The bottle was empty. This was Jane's fifth bottle in three days of those pills, and they were somewhat effective. The voices went down and she saw Jerome less, but God were they addicting. Jane couldn't stop taking them. The moment she felt even a little bit like she was returning to her clean self, she popped another two. She took two because she felt like they didn't stay in her system long enough. Every three hours, she felt them starting to wear off, and then the voices would come back ten times as strong and suddenly Jerome would be the only thing she could see.

The phone dialed as Jane paced around her apartment. "Come on, come on, come on..." The man she was calling didn't pick up. Just as quickly as she heard the answering machine, she hung up and called back.

She repeated this cycle six more times until the man finally answered. "Jane."

Jane felt like she couldn't get the words out fast enough. "I need more."

The man sighed. "This is, like, your tenth bottle in the last three days."

"Nope!" Jane jumped at the chance to correct him. She was getting jittery, and she didn't want him saying she was more addicted than she actually was. "It's only my fifth. Not tenth."

"Either way...."

Jane was getting frustrated, and the jitteriness was making her emotions go on a whole higher level. She's never felt this emotionally strong ever. "Listen, do you want my money or not?"

The man sighed again. "Give me an hour."

"How about ten minutes." Jane hung up. Her nerves were going crazy. She wrapped her arms around her and started frantically rubbing them. It had been two hours since the last time she took some and she was starting to feel it wearing off.

"Why is it wearing off sooner?" Jane asked herself.

She had to distract herself. She had to get her mind off it. So she sat down and turned the tv on. Of course, that didn't help. Katy's face was all over the stations. The police were desperate in finding her killer. And even though they weren't, Jane felt every time they talked about the killer, the newscaster was looking directly in Jane's eyes, telling her they are looking for her.

"They know it's you," she muttered to herself. "Why did you kill her? Did I kill her? I don't remember killing her." Jane's eyes looked all around her apartment. "I didn't kill her!" She yelled. No one was here. She was yelling at the world, telling the world to back off. She didn't do anything! Katy was killed by some other psycho.

"Well this is sad." Jane jumped at the voice. He's back. "I'm gone for a couple of days, and I come back to you being this emotional mess." His voice was so playful because he knew this was going to happen to her. He planned this all along to get her to this crazed state. He had to unlock her true potential.

But that also begged the question: Who was doing this to Jane? Jerome wasn't real. He was a figment of her imagination, so were the voices. Nothing Jane saw or heard was real. So who was responsible for this? And why were they doing this to Jane of all people?

"I am fine." Jane refused to look at him. She was too disappointed in herself for not saving the pills longer to prolong this meeting with him again. "J-Just a little jittery is all."

You're not fine. You look like a mess.

One step closer to who you're supposed to be.

Aren't you curious what side of you killed Katy?

You do know you did it, right?

"No!" Jane screamed. "I-I didn't kill Katy. I didn't kill anyone!" She felt tears starting to build in her eyes. Her face was getting all fuzzy from the anger and tears.

Jerome noticed and laughed. "Aw, are you crying?" He laughed. "Wow, you've became such a wimp since you lost your mind."

"I'm not a wimp!" Jane was getting tired of his constant abuse. She had been taking it for as long as she could remember, and it was continuing even in his after death.

Jane stood abruptly and grabbed a cigarette from her box. She hadn't been smoking much the last couple of days because the pills had been working. Jane placed it in between her lips and brought the lighter to the end of it. However, the lighter wasn't working. Jane's thumb just couldn't get it right.

"Come on!" Jane said to herself.

"Wow, you can't even do that right?" Jerome's voice followed her to where she stood, by the window. "Makes me wonder how you were able to kill Katy and get away with it."

"I didn't kill her!" Jane yelled back. She didn't kill her. She didn't kill her. She didn't kill her!

After a few more attempts at the lighter, she yelled in frustration and threw the lighter and cigarette out of her grasp. That's when she heard the sirens. She looked outside to the street and saw three cop cars pulling up very frantically. Jane felt herself turn pale.

They found you.

They finally caught up to you.

Once they see how crazy you are, they're gonna throw you straight into Arkham. Where you belong.

Jane shook her head. "No...no..no." They weren't here for her. She didn't live in the nicest area so they could be here for anyone, she thought as she watched five police officers run inside her apartment building.

There was intense banging at the door. Jane whipped her head to it. Her heart dropped. She couldn't believe this was happening to her.

"G.C.P.D! Open up!"

Jane was frozen in place. She didn't do anything. Why was this happening?

You killed Katy.

The door made a crashing noise as she heard the police trying to break in. Jane didn't know what to do with herself She ducked down in a ball, hiding her face into her knees and started to cry. She was absolutely terrified.

That's when the noise stopped. The silence was deafening compared the banging and the police sirens. She looked up from her knees and saw nothing. Her door looked completely fine. She stood and looked outside the window: no police cars. Had she imagined it all?

--------------------------

Jane held the phone to her ear for the millionth time. Her foot tapped on the floor, making a creaking noise due to the oldness of her apartment building. It had been two hours since the incident with the police hallucination, and Jane was officially done feeling like this. She wanted her pills, and she wanted them now.

"Come on!" Jane yelled into her phone when she heard the answering machine. "Why aren't you answering?!" She hung up and called again.

"Huh," Jerome appeared behind her. "Weird he isn't answering." Jane ignored him. She got the answering machine again, which caused her to call again. "He should've answered by now."

"He'll answer," Jane muttered under her breath. He had to. If he didn't, Jane didn't know what she would do.

It was on the last call that made Jane's heart break. Halfway through the dialing, the call got picked up. Jane held her breath before hearing the automated message.

"Hello. The phone number you have dialed has been disconnected. Check the phone number or dial again."