Surprise?

"Hey, Y/N. How was work?" Joe asks as I walk through the front door. I sigh, placing my bag on the bench before moving towards Joe who was standing at the stove cooking, and I kiss him on the lips.

"I swear, those other critics don't know a good film even if it slapped them in the face screaming 'I'm a good film!' They seem to look for anything negative, even if it doesn't make any sense. God forbid they actually say something positive. What's interesting about positivity?" I rant before sighing and leaning against the counter.

"They didn't give borhap a good review, did they?" I shake my head, looking down guiltily.

"They gave some really unfair judgments, but that doesn't mean that the people won't love it. I'm sorry, Joe."

"What?" He stops what he's doing to face me, putting his hands on either side of my face, making me look at him in the eyes. His eyes always hold so much expression, it's hard not to get lost in them. "Y/N, there is absolutely no reason for you to be sorry."

"Well, if I had been the one to do the review for your film, then it would have been given a proper critique that it deserves."

"But you couldn't because you're dating me." He pauses, stepping even closer to me, making everything seem so much more intimate. "I much rather have you as my girlfriend and get bad reviews than not have you as a girlfriend. Borhap is going to do well. I can feel it. It's Queen after all." Joe gives me a quick kiss on the lips before turning back to his cooking, making sure it doesn't burn. "Now, go unwind for a bit. Dinner should be ready in 20 minutes."

I take that as the sign to let him focus on cooking the food seeing as he's never managed to not burn the food, and I head upstairs to our room. I still cannot believe I was able to get a guy as understanding and caring as Joe. I know he's right. Bohemian Rhapsody will do well without the critics judgement involved, but that doesn't mean it won't hurt them at least a little bit. The critics just have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

I flop down on my back on the bed only to hear something drop on the floor. What was that? I didn't see anything and it didn't sound heavy. I pull myself to the edge of the bed to see a small velvet box sitting on the floor. I pick it up off the floor and after slight hesitation, I open it to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

Holy shit. Ho-ly shit. This is - This can't be what I think it is, can it? I mean, was he planning on proposing to me? No, he can't have been. He would have hidden the ring if that were the case. But if he was proposing, what would I say? What would my answer be? Am I even ready to get married? Do I think I can be with Joe for the rest of my life? I need to talk to him.

I slowly walk back down the stairs in a trance like state with the box in my hand. I approach Joe who is setting up the table for dinner. "Um, Joe?"

"Yes, honey?" He asks while focusing on placing the knives and forks on the table.

"What is this?"

"What is wh..." He looks up and his eyes immediately travel to the item in my hand, making him freeze.

"Please tell me, is this what I think it is?"

"An engagement ring?" He says nervously. "Yeah, I was wanting it to be a surprise." He says quickly, walking up to me and gently taking the ring out of my hand.

"Surprise?" I laugh. "If you wanted it to be a surprise, you shouldn't have left it on the bed."

"I left it on the bed?" He asks in shock, making me smile and nod. "Whoops, my bad." This time it's his turn to sigh as he plays with the box in his hand. "Look, Y/N, I just got this ring on a spontaneous whim, because I love you. If your not ready to marry me, I'll understand, but..."

"How would you know if you don't ask?" I interrupt him, nerves winding through me.

"You want me to ask? Okay then." He lowers himself onto one knee in front of me, smiling with a hopeful expression in his eyes. The eyes I love. "Y/N Y/M/N Y/L/N, this isn't exactly how I planned this moment to happen, at all, but when have our greatest moments ever gone according to plan? Y/N, will you marry me?" In that moment, I know for sure what my answer is.

"Yes, Joseph. Of course I'll marry you." He beams up at me, quickly putting the ring on my finger before picking me up by the waist and spinning me. The love I have for this man is definitely unlike any love I've experienced before. "I love you so much, Joe." I say with my head buried in his neck as he puts me down.

"I love you too, Y/N. More than anything." I break slightly away from the hug, looking up at him and seeing the love I have for him being mirrored right back. I'm about to lean in to kiss him when the fire alarm in the kitchen goes off, causing Joe to panic.

"Shit, our food! And I was doing so well!"

Yep, tonight definitely hasn't gone to plan.