Uncle Joe - Part Two

REQUESTED

I am sorry for my lack of updating, but I've finally made it! Life is just kicking my ass at the moment, but it's getting better, hence another update. I hope you all like it! 

Warning; it is sad, but its also sweet too.

"What if it's negative?" I ask Joe who was sitting on the edge of our bed as I pace around the front of the room. "What if it's another negative, Joe? I don't think I can handle another negative test."

"Hey." Joe stands up and holds me in his arms, looking into my eyes with such a calm and loving expression even though I know he's as anxious as I am about this. "If the pregnancy test isn't positive, then we'll go to the doctors tomorrow to see what we can do. There are always other options. It'll be okay." I sigh, relaxing slightly and nodding.

"It's just that, it's been months since we've started trying and all of this, it's starting to really take a toll  on me, and I can tell it is for you too. I just - I really want us to have a child," He kisses my forehead and wraps me in a tender hug.

"And we will. We will have a family, Y/N." We stay like this for a couple of minutes, holding each other in our arms and rocking back and forth. "I think the test should be ready by now." He says, and I move away from him to look at him. I take his hand before we both quickly head into the bathroom and look down at the test.

"Oh-my-gosh. I'm pregnant." I say quietly in shock, tears already forming in my eyes as a wave of relief washes over me. I finally feel like I can breathe. 

"Your pregnant!" Joe cheers and I spin around to jump into his arms. He holds me against him, but not too tightly, laughing ecstatically in my ears. "We're going to be parents!"

5 years later and we have a 2 year old daughter and a nearly 1 year old son. We lost our first child. Stillbirth, they said. I remember when I held him in my arms, hoping that he would just start breathing, I was praying that he would start breathing, but as each second passed, my heart just broke more and more. Joe absolutely terrified me in this time.  He was silent for such a long time until I walked into what was supposed to be our son's room to find him huddled in the corner, holding our child's toy, crying. We cried together that night.

It all definitely took a toll on us. I mean, that was our baby. But after a year of being there for one another, showing each other how much we love and support one another even through our fights, heavy amounts of counselling and having the support of our friends and family, we decided to try for another child.

Luckily for us, Star came along shortly after we started trying. And when she was born, she was the most precious thing any one of us had either seen, She still is, of course, but the moment we held her in our arms, we were smitten with her. 

Sure, she does cry, a lot, but her smile is so radiant, it is the brightest smile I have ever seen. Her whole face would light up, it's so beautiful. She's my little girl.

There are some moments Joe and I felt completely overwhelmed. I mean, come on. Who wouldn't? Your taking care of a tiny human being which no one or nothing can properly prepare you for. If you drop them, it will cause damage. So, me and my clumsy ass have to be really careful. But the most surprising thing I found was the fact that Joe and I are basically winging everything! Joe and I have loved every minute of it.

So, a year later, Joe and I decided to have another kid, John. Believe it or not, it wasn't Joe who decided on that name, either. John may only be 1, but he's already getting into so many places he shouldn't be. He even laughs hysterically when I catch him! He's definitely his father's son. But he has my eyes, that's the only thing of mine he has. Joe says he's got my laugh, but John's mischievous laugh belongs to Joe for sure. 

Star is an amazing sister as well. She did start off a little distant, not wanting to go near him because "mummy and daddy will give all their love and attention towards him and forget about me". She said that to my sister.  But Star quickly warmed up to John and is even quite protective of him. She won't even let Freddie, our cat, go near him. And she is only 2!

But the most amazing thing to come out of all of this is Joe and how he puts everything into those kids. He's just absolutely amazing with them. Probably because he's an adult child himself, but he's also the most loving and caring father ever. He always puts family above work and makes sure to spend some time alone with me. He's a great father, just like I always knew he would be. 

I sit down on the side of my bed and out of my bedside drawers, I pull out the photo of the last scan of my first son. My heart still aches heavily at the loss. I think it always will. He would be just over 4 years old by now. Joe walks into the room silently and sits down beside me, placing his hand on mine and intertwining our fingers. He always seems to know exactly what I need when I need it.

"He may not be here with us, Y/N, but he is still here with us. He always will be. "

"I know." I say sadly, leaning my head on his shoulder. "I just wish he was here. You're an amazing father, I wish he could experience that."

"Yeah. I wish he was here too. Especially to see what a kick ass mother you are and be there with his amazing brothers and sisters."

"We do have amazing children."

"We do." Joe kisses me on the head, making me smile. "I love you, Y/N. So much. I hope you know that."

"I do. And I hope you know that I love you too. With all my heart."