Tammy and Tom

TAMMY'S HOUSE

Lou's POV

Poor Tom doesn't know what Tammy is capable of. He's living in oblivion for a decade now. He asked me a favour. He wanted me to look after his wife and children while he is away for 6 months regarding some business deal. I was Tammy's bridesmaid. Debbie was too angry to even attend the wedding. So, only I attended. Tom's really a nice guy. He loves Tammy a lot. But we're not sure how will he react to Tammy being involved in criminal life. So we kept it hidden from him. He is friendly and shares similar interest in bikes, and as years passed we became good friends. Debbie doesn't like our friendship. She doesn't like Tom too. And it has nothing to do with the fact that she and Tammy were friends with benefits a long time ago. She thinks he is an obstacle in Tammy's career and life. And by befriending him, I might get into trouble if at all Tammy and Tom broke up. And I understand her words. But... I don't know, he is really a good friend of mine.

One of the reasons Tammy met Tom was me and Debbie. You see... once Debbie and I were in bar. Debbie got drunk and completely wasted. I couldn't walk her home in that condition. I called Tammy at 3 am in the morning. She came to pick us up, cursing us. She was busy whole day fencing an antique we stole. So she was resting at home. She entered the bar and saw Debbie completely wasted and me drinking my 11th bottle of vodka, to the surprise of bartender and everyone present. We didn't even pay the bill. So Tammy had to pay. I agree the bill was a bit too much. Because, I have high threshold when it comes to alcohol. I don't get wasted soon like Debbie or Tammy. I have to drink like gallons and gallons to get tipsy. And this time, I drank three times more than Debbie and it did no effect on me. Tammy, as usual, was shocked that I am perfectly alright and standing straight. She and Debbie were always in awe with my alcohol tolerance. What can I say? I don't know how, but I can drink all day long and still be steady and unaffected.

We had to struggle a lot to get Debbie out of the bar. She passed out even before we were able to walk out. She was skinny but it's not easy to carry the dead weight. We somehow got Debbie inside the car. The car, I must say it's the only possession we had which was legal. We bought this old Toyota after saving enough money. It was in a bad condition, I repaired it myself. Debbie and Tammy stole the necessary parts required. Now don't think that I lied about the car being legal. It's true. The car, we got legally; I didn't say the spare parts were legal.

So, back to the story. We had Debbie inside the car. And now, Tammy decided to drive again. I sat next to Debbie in the back seat; someone had to steadily hold her, right? Tammy was reversing the car, and suddenly she hit a man walking behind. He was hurt a bit, but not life-taking or anything. Tammy was really slow, so there was no chance of any broken arms. But the man was angry and suddenly rushed towards the driver's seat, knocked the window glass. Tammy was bit scared but still, masked it. She apologized sincerely. But he wouldn't budge. He started yelling at us and began his remarks on female driving. That's it. That raged me. How dare he speak about women? I jumped into the conversation. I started cursing him in my typical Australian way I knew would pierce him. He was confused and scared by my outrageous behaviour. I don't know why, but people fear me a lot when I raise my voice the slightest. I don't know what will they do if I ever show my anger. Since childhood, I am like this. I control my anger but I fear I will go out of control soon. So, I try avoiding any such situations. But here I was, trying to argue, in limit. I wasn't interested in fighting him. Well, mind you, fighting and arguing are different, or that's what I believe and you need to agree with me.

Then suddenly, Tammy saw blood stains on his arm. She was now sad and concerned. Because of her, the man was hurt. She stopped me from bashing him more. I was not backing off. But she requested me. I obliged. She held his hand and carefully took a look on the wounds. He was now confused again looking at Tammy's gentleness. He winced when she gently tried to remove the shirt sleeve over the wound. Tammy almost passed out looking at the blood and the wound. I steadied her. She asked him to hop into the car so that she will drive him to hospital.

He refused. He was not angry now but was hesitant. He didn't want us to take him to hospital. We asked the reason and he told the wound was not from the accident. And he began walking away, apologising for yelling at us. Tammy held his good hand, he halted. Tammy was persistent in taking him to hospital. And at last, he agreed. He hopped into the passenger seat while Tammy drove and I was in back seat with Debbie. Damn, she was snoring now.

On our way to hospital we asked him the cause for his wounds. At first, he was reluctant in speaking but after Tammy's jokes or better to say 'attempt to joke'  easened him, he finally opened up. He was hurt because of his girlfriend, well now ex-girlfriend. She cheated on him with his friend. When he questioned, she and his friend hit him. He was hit by his friend by a broken vase on his head. Tammy suddenly looked at him, removed his hoodie. It was horrible. The blood dried but the wound was really bad. She shrieked and lost control of the wheels. He held the wheel with his one hand and it was right on top of her hand. He was really in an uncomfortable position, slight slip of his other hand and it would land on Tammy's thighs and Tammy would definitely kill him. I don't know why but that thought made me laugh. Once the car was under control, Tammy got the wheels back and he removed his hand. There was an awkward silence between them. I wanted to say something but my baggage, I mean Debbie Ocean rolled and I had to make sure she wasn't hurt.

We finally arrived at the hospital. I stayed in the car to look after Debbie who was still snoring. God! never should I allow her to get wasted. Tammy took him to the hospital. I could see a genuine concern and also a hint of crush on him in her face. When she turned back before entering the hospital to check on us, I mouthed "kiss him". I don't know why I said it, but it was good to see Tammy red faced and furious on me. I laughed. She then shook her head smiling and walked in.

All this time, our mastermind was snoring; she would never accept it when she wakes up. It was a stressful week for us. So a day of getting drunk and forgetting everything else is acceptable right? Almost after an hour, Tammy and that guy returned. Tammy offered him to drop home, which he accepted. In an hour, they were friends. That's how our Tammy is. She is compassionate and sweet, all like to befriend her. We dropped him. He lived in some apartment in Manhattan, his girlfriend already had moved out. He apologized for his earlier behaviour, said he never disrespect women but his anger due to his ex made him speak like that, and thanked and offered his hand to Tammy as a friendly gesture. Well, Tammy thought he was about to hug and so opened her arms and leaned forward. Awkward. Now he opened his arms to hug and she offered to shake hand. It looked like a romantic movie scene. I tried not to laugh. Finally they settled down to shake their hands. He then smiled and waved at me. I waved back and said "Get well soon ah.."

"Tom", both he and Tammy said in unison.

I tried to control my laughter again and smilingly said "Good night Tom. And take care. If you want, I can take care of your cheater friend and ex".

"Uh no thanks. I... uhm... I better move on. I wanna keep them away from me"

I nodded, and he started walking. He went inside the apartment, Tammy's eye focused on him. Once she turned back, I was grinning at her.

"What?"

"Hmm nothing. He's good looking and speaks nicely with you, is freshly single and you obviously are smitten by him"

She glared, but the pink blush on her cheeks clearly visible.

***---***

Cut to present, here I am waiting for her to pack all the necessary things she'll need; Tom helping her with packing and kids running around. After packing, She drove them to airport, I was following them in my bike. After a little tears in eyes, Tammy kissed him and waved at him. He was off to London.

We got back to our loft, well technically my loft but now all the girls are so frequent in that building that it has become our loft. All were already present. Derek and Keri immediately ran towards Constance. I went to Debbie who was trying to cook or more accurately, trying to burn my kitchen. Tammy and I took over the kitchen duty. I didn't want my death certificate to say 'death due to burnt water by Debbie Ocean'. Yeah, she can burn water. She is that talented in kitchen.

****----****