Church

The ride to church was so silent. Daddy was still upset with mama about how she reacted to us this am. Kwan was looking all mad and stuff. He didn't want to go to church. He said the church always judge people. I keep telling him it's not like that but he don't think so. As we pulled up everybody was staring us down like we was foreign or something. Of coarse mama got to be all extra.

"What y'all looking at?"

Sis Mitch walked over.

"Sister can I see you over here for a moment?"

"Sure." Jalisha said following her to a corner.

Mama walked over and started talking.

"How you been Sis Chapman?"

"I'm well and you?"

"I'm good."

"So what do you want?"

"Well some of the members was talking today and it was brought to my attention a concern with you and your family."

"What concern?" She said looking at her crazy.

"Well it was told by some members that your kids are seeing each other. That is very disturbing to us to know that two kids will do such an act."

"Sista let me tell you something. The only reason why I'm not gonna curse you cause I'm on the church ground. But for your information Kwan is not mine nor my husbands son. We raised him cause of his ex wife which is his mother. So that don't make my daughter his brother at all. But since it's not your business I suggest you find some of your own and leave mine and my family the hell alone. Now you have a blessed day."

I walked back up to Alonzo.

"Baby let's go."

"What's wrong babe?"

"Nothing. I'll explain in the car."

We walked back to the car and got in and left.

"Mom what was that about?"

"See this is exactly what I'm talking about Alonzo."

"What?" daddy said?

"Kwan ass. Sister Mitch said we are the talk of the church."

"But how?"

"I don't know and I surly don't give a damn."

Kwan grew angry.

"I'm sitting in the car you know."

"Who gives a damn." Jalisha said.

"You know what I give a damn and I'm not gonna keep taking this shit off you."

"Who the hell are you talking to?"Jalisha said.

"I'm talking to you." Kwan said.

"Wait a damn minute." Alonzo said.

"Ain't nothing about to go down in the damn truck. Now Kwan and Jalisha y'all cut 'this shit now."