𝙸𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚍

Nico's POV

Is there some type of communication error? This doesn't look like Hollywood, I mused to myself as the drowsiness of shadow travelling hit me. I leaned on the edge of the building I had found myself on top of. I stood in my place for a while, I'm not too sure how long. I just stayed there staring across the smog-filled city's lights as they flashed and blinked at me.

I adjusted my grip on the bag strap in my hold before I turned around and opened the door which lead down towards the other floors. I walked down all the way to the first floor constantly checking for any signs of life, which was pretty simple considering there were only four in total. 

After finding that there was no one else currently squatting in the building I decided to set up my stuff in one of the vacant rooms closer to the top. Before doing so I quickly blocked up the doors on the first floor to ensure that it would take someone a while to get in.

The room I had set up in was small all things considered, but it would do. After all, I wasn't planning on staying here for long. 

The room consisted of two sections a kitchen/living room and a bedroom, plus a bathroom that was connected to the latter. The shower still worked for some reason but I just chalked it up to the city forgetting to turn off the water... Not that I am complaining.

There was no way I was going to get the television to work. Its screen was cracked and I swear I saw some type of black mould growing around it.

I placed my duffle bag on the small twin-size bed after I had dusted it to the best of my ability. A few roaches scuttled out of the room once I made my way over to the window, I just sighed and shook my head. One of the perks of being the son of the God of the Underworld. I turned to leave the room along with the roaches and headed back up to the roof.

I ended up laying there on the floor of the roof wrapped up in my aviator jacket staring at the sky. One in the morning rolled around quickly and I was unable to fall asleep as the freezing cold wind nipped at my nose. I stayed there thinking allowing my mind to wander but my body to stay put.

I thought of the body on the ground at camp. The soft golden locks of the smiling boy laying peacefully on the grassy floor as blood dripped from his neck...

I thought of the Underworld and my father... About how our relationship would change... My father and I weren't on good terms before this but I have the sinking suspicion that things were about to get worse. 

Persophone was a different story. After the wars, she started to acknowledge me in a way that wasn't full of contempt and now I actually get along with her.

My mind continues to wander away from the topic of my family back towards camp...

Do they even care that I am no longer around?

I wonder if they are throwing a party in my absence...

I began to think about everything that I had experienced with them... The camp wasn't just a place full of strangers... They were my family.

"They don't care they never did," I mumbled to myself while looking up at the stars. They seemed to twinkle and dance with one another. I smiled at that thought, and then a sudden stray thought struck me like a fucking train.

"Wait a second... Where the fuck am I?" I said out loud a little louder than before. 

I pulled out my phone and looked at my location. As soon as I opened the location app the word 'Bludhaven, America' glared at me from the bright screen.

It was around two in the morning so I finally decided to try and get some sleep. I'll have a shower in the morning, I thought as I moved through the door and to my room.

I took off my jacket and placed it on top of my bag which was now situated on the floor. I climbed on the bed and tried to get as comfortable as I could on the stiff mattress. I found myself drifting off to sleep in a matter of mere minutes. My normal nightmares were not what greeted me as the claws of sleep pierced my mind. Instead, I was greeted with the sight of the glowing boy.

Third Person POV

A shadow watched the strange boy from two buildings away. They were intrigued by the kid's actions and somewhat concerned but hid the last emotion well. As the child went down into one of the rooms the shadow moved towards the sound of police sirens.

He seemed safe so there was no point in the masked figure staying around him. 

Once the shadow was done patrolling at 3 am they went back to their apartment and climbed in via the window. So no one would be disturbed by his entrance in the early hours of the morning.

The 'shadow' took off their brown leather jacket before hanging it up on the back of a nearby chair. They slipped off their red helmet and flickered their eyes towards the mirror hanging up in the living room letting them roam all over their face. 

Sweat soaked their black and white hair. The shadow pulled off the rest of their clothes and headed to the bathroom to have a shower.

After they had concluded in the bathroom they exited out and headed back into their bedroom with a towel wrapped around their waist. Slipping into more comfortable clothes they lifted the covers of the bed and finally laid down. 

Their mind wandered to the strange boy they had seen earlier the morning and then to the 'incident' as they slowly started to fall into a seemingly unending nightmare.

FLASHBACK

I was standing in front of the man I thought of as a father. He had a deep scowl on his face directed at me.

"You promised you would stop Jason! How many times do I have to tell you; We. Don't. Kill!" Screamed the man in front of me.

"Bruce you weren't there, you didn't s-." I was cut off by him launching into a full-blown lecture on the 'no killing rule'. 

I had honestly zoned out and was only half listening when I heard a phrase that got my attention and not in a good way.

"What did you say?" I said, my fist shaking with anger.

"I said, 'No son of mine would act so brashly'." Repeated 'Bruce' firmly and with eyes full of nothing but disappointment. I looked at him in shock and then spoke with the first thing that came to my mind.

"What was that Jason?" asked Bruce as he gave me a stern look. 

My eyes held a newfound determination.

"Then I am not your son!" I exclaimed. 

Bruce's expression turned shocked then angry before he said something that sent me over the edge that I was already hanging from.

"Then leave." He said meekly

"I will just watch me!" I said as I walked up to my room and grabbed my already-packed bag. I walked down and left through the front door. 

My only regret is that I didn't say goodbye to my brothers.

I will miss them, I thought as I continued walking and I didn't stop.

FLASHBACK END

[Edited: 25/06/2023]