ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟚𝟙

On the other side of New York, trudging out of an abandoned factory, Evelyn lit up the cigarette hanging between her busted lips before tossing away the lighter showing her bruises and bloody knuckles.

Blood dripping down her face from the cut on the upper side of her eyebrows and her face turning purplish from bruises over her cheek and jaw.

Taking a long drag of the cigar and puff out, "Bitter." She states and throws away the half-burn bud and walks away from the building.

Evelynn bloody shoes have now been cleaned by the puddles as she walks around downtown until she reaches a store that has Delmar's Deli-Grocery sign on top of it. The bell rings as she pushes open the door, flattening herself to the side as a customer walks out, thanking her along the way for holding the door for them.

"American girl!" The owner shouts, grinning with both hands held high greeting her.

"Mr Delmar." Evelyn nods, putting down her hood and revealing her shape making the man's smile fade.

"That's not good."

Chuckling at his words, she shrugs. "Just a bad day for me. Usual." She states, pointing her chin over the menu which then Mr. Delmar shouts in Spanish at the kitchen staff. "You have blueberry here?"

"Second fridge by the corner." The man points over.

Evelyn murmurs a thanks and she goes to search for it. She took a small container of it and put it on the counter by the same time her sandwich finished. She dug her pocket and offers the man ten dollars. "That's all I have."

"Nah, keep it niña, my treats." Delmar pushes back the money shaking his head. "Heard what happen to your mama, I'm sorry for your loss. She is beautiful as she is kind."

The brunette smiled sadly. "She was."

The older man leans forward, eyes darting outside for a second before looking back at the girl, whispering. "¿estas en problemas?"

"¿Cómo?"

"Hay un hombre afuera. Mira sospechoso. No deja de mirarte desde que entras. ¿Quieres que llame a la policía?" (There is a man outside. Look suspicious. He keeps looking at you ever since you walk inside. Want me to call the police.)

Eve glances up at the convex mirror as she feigns her interest at the cat on the counter and she can see a well-suited man standing in front of the store with a newspaper under his armpit but she can see why Mr Delmar notify her of the man, the guy wasn't even trying to conceal himself as he keeps pressing his earpiece but eyes go back and forth between her and the road.