Chapter 5: Jack

Long chapter I know

"Jack! Jack, wait up!" I yelled. I pushed past the swarm of students and followed behind the tall boy scurrying home.

"Jack!" I called. He didn't stop moving, in fact, he sped up.

A few students looked at us as I made a public spectacle of chasing him. I didn't mind the stares but the whispers from girls, saying who knows what, as I passed was a bit concerning. Though I didn't want to embarrass him, never mind myself, that was the only day I could spend with him and I had to figure out what was happening.

Michael was at home with Scarlett and grandma was at out at a homeless shelter or something like that. Olivia couldn't take me home because she had to take her dad to a church gathering so I had to find my own way home.

"Jack!" I called when I finally caught up to him. We stood right in the middle of the parking lot but his back was facing me.

Jack turned to face me. His dark eyes had circles even darker beneath them. He seemed tired with slumped shoulders and a lazy grin when he saw me.

"Hi, Diana," he greeted me. His voice was shaky and his smile was tired and sad.

"Hey Jack, are you ok?" I asked softly not wanting to damage his already fragile demeanor.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine," he waved his hand in the air lazily, "what's up?"

The courtyard looked on at us in amusement as we spoke. He seemed so distant yet not cold. He was so different. His stature, his eyes, his voice even the way he looked at me was odd.

"Umm, Liv's not here," I explained pointing to the empty parking spot she often takes.

He nodded slowly, "I see."

"Right, well, I just wanted to know if you would like to go to Ruby's Diner," I suggested, "on me."

He looked around and scratched the back of his head, "I don't know..."

"I know that you and Liza are a thing but I don't think she'll mind," I lied. I knew it would practically make her green with envy but I had to know what he dreamed.

"Who?" He asked. At first, I thought he was kidding but I soon realized that his raised eyebrow and confused tone were serious.

"Liza, your girlfriend," I explained.

He shook his head, "Oh yeah, um sure let's go then."

He helped me into the passenger's seat and put my book bag in the backseat. I could still see people staring as we drove passed them probably gossiping about where we were going but that didn't matter.

On the long road down to the diner, I had time to think up what I would ask him. His focus was on the road so he hadn't noticed me trying to decipher his code. It was so odd that just days ago he was every girl's dream but now, he was a strange piece of work almost ready to be pulled apart. He saw something and I needed to find out just what it was.

The car ride was silent except for the sputtering of the car engine and the sound of rain pounding against the car itself. Jack was quieter than ever but I knew that he was thinking. He looked almost as though he were in pain.

As we pulled into the parking lot, I was glad that this wasn't a place kids our age would go. They would more flock to a mall or the cafe near the school as opposed to an old diner just on the outskirts of town. The emptiness and serenity of the place were enough for me to feel comfortable with him. Even the large sign that read "Ruby's Diner" brought warmth to my heart.

We walked into the small restaurant and absorbed the surrounding area. The booths were against the large windows and the inside was painted red and white with matching table cloths with each table.