Chapter 7: The In Between

I felt myself running. My legs pushed effortlessly against the ground so fast that I felt as though I was flying. Though I ran with inexplicable speed, my lungs didn't betray me. There wasn't an uneven breath from my lips nor the gruesome pain of my heart twisting in my chest. My legs didn't wobble or fumble nor lose its pace. There wasn't a single moment where my body didn't want to keep going. It had a goal, it had to get there.

I could feel the blade of grass tickling my finger tips as I ran to the glowing light so far away. They were alarming to say the least. They were a deep red, purple and orange with a few blue blades. I was in the middle of nowhere but I felt at peace as I was going somewhere.

A smile formed on my lips as I got closer to my destination, a glowing light dancing above the grass. A prism floating mid air waiting for my fingers to grasp it. A beauty among beauties that I must have.

My body stopped moving. I stood feebly before the prism like a child who was caught doing something wrong. There was an urge through my body that called me to it. I knew in my heart that I wasn't supposed to tamper with something so beautiful, but how could I not?

"Please don't touch the prism Diana," a soft monotonous voice said as I reached for it.

I pulled my hand away instantly back stepping, "Hello?" I asked into the empty meadow. There wasn't a person in sight, not even a bird flying through the air. Suddenly, I could feel my heart beat , but it felt more like it was trying to escape my chest.

"Hello?" it responded in the same light monotonous voice it had spoken in before, but that time mimicking my confusion.

I whipped my head around trying to canvas the entire meadow, but I didn't find a single soul. It was then that I realized there wasn't even a gush of wind blowing through my hair never mind a living thing. Still, I could feel the presence of someone watching me. It was almost stressful trying not to start running away.

"Who's there?" I asked firmly into the vast nothingness before me. There wasn't a movement in the desolate field except for the prism spinning around.

"How do you know my name?" I asked shakily, turning around slowly almost as though I were too frightened actually find something. It wasn't until my back was turned to the orb that I felt someone behind me.

My body stiffened as I realized that I was no longer alone. In a deep desolate space, I was alone with a stranger that I wouldn't even dare look at. I didn't even dare to let a breath escape my lungs almost as though it would trigger the stranger.

"Who are you?" I choked as I finally allowed myself to breath.

"Who am I?" The voice asked continuing to copy my tone.

In that moment, the only thing that disturbed that silence was the sounds of my heavy inconsistent breathing. It began to dawn on me that if it was so quiet that the only sounds came from the breaths coming out of my tired lungs, then why couldn't I hear the stranger's breath. I couldn't even feel the heat that comes from living bodies coming from them. The only indication of them actually being there was the sound of their chilling voice.

"That's my line," I mumbled to myself trying to hide the anxiety creeping up on me. I stood in anticipation, waiting for another word from the mysterious voice. I even visited the possibility of it being the voice of God.

For a while, we just stood there in silence. The menacing aura that seemed to be glowing from behind me was too intimidating to ignore. I could feel their eye balls burning into the back of my head. It was like standing in front of a serial killer not knowing if you were the next victim.