Chapter 22: Have You Ever Been in Love?

I smiled to myself as I chewed on the piece of fried fish I had picked off my plate. I found it amusing that Allioni went out and taught Jack how to fish, especially since Jack was bragging about how he was the best fisher in our town. However, when we got to the creak, Jack couldn't get one bite. I could tell that it took a hit to his ego when Allioni had to step in and show him how it's done. Ally really seemed to be a Jack of all trades.

His cooking wasn't half bad either. He managed to make a pretty decent meal out of a few rainbow fishes and improvised seasoning. The funny thing is, the rainbow fish had very colorful scales, and no desire to be eaten as we basically had to wrestle it when it got to shore.

I sat beside Jack on a log facing the fire as we both ate the fish we caught. Allioni sat on the log opposite us with his legs folded staring longingly into the fire. He didn't ever seem to eat much, but I was still pretty concerned about his health.

"Ally, aren't you hungry?" I asked pointing my fork at his head.

Jack chuckled beside me, and nudged my shoulder jokingly, " The weirdo doesn't eat."

Allioni raised his finger pointing to the sky, "Actually, I do need to eat. Just not as often as humans do," he explained casually.

I coughed a bit as I choked on the price of fish in my mouth, "Wait, your not human?" I asked setting my plate down beside me that was more like a piece of old tree bark.

"D, the man was living in the in-between all alone for sixteen years. I don't think that's something a human can survive," Jack laughed.

I smiled at him seeming to warm up to me after our quarrel the night before. He was so upset quiet after. That morning, he didn't bother to stick around. He just ran off into the forest until evening.

Luckily enough, he seemed fine after we had a laugh over the rainbow fish, and even opted to sit with me. I knew that it was silly, but I couldn't bare to lose him. I was already heartbroken over not seeing Mikey in so long. I didn't think that I could bare not talking to Jack either. I couldn't imagine losing my best friend.

"So, what are you then?" I asked leaning forward a bit, " Some kind of fairy?"

"No, I'm not quite sure what I am, but you are aware that Jack isn't human either?" Allioni asked casually as though he wasn't blowing my mind.

"What?" I practically yelled. Jack just looked at me as though I was being dramatic.

"Not in the normal sense," Allioni explained walking towards us, "he's a sorcerer. So, he's human, but not just."

I couldn't understand his point. He seemed to be saying that Jack was, and wasn't a human. It seemed possible, especially for that world, but I couldn't really wrap my head around it. I began to wonder if Jack could die.

For some reason, I began to think about everything I saw in my visions. I even began to think of all of the people I saw in them as well. I looked up at Allioni who was then sitting on the log beside us.

"Ally, have you ever been in love?" I asked the boy. He didn't seem to phased by my inquiry.

"I can't say I have," Allioni answered.

I was a bit taken aback by his answer, " Oh, it seemed as though you, and that girl I saw you with were in love with each other," I responded picking my plate back up.

"Did I? I don't even remember who she is," Allioni said without thought.

I decided not to ask Jack for his two cents on the matter. I didn't want to trigger him into solitude again. I couldn't take the silent treatment from him. He was never mean, just absent. I let it go, though my curiosity never let me hear the end of it.