Chapter 6: No Boys Allowed

The number one rule set forth by fathers for most teenage girls is the "no boys in your room rule". However, seeing that I don't seem to have a single memory of my father, I didn't feel that pang of guilt knowing that I was disobeying him.

I tapped my feet impatiently on the floor as I searched my laptop but I could still see Jack out the corner of my eye as he marveled at my tormentor. His body stood before it's figure not with curiosity or disbelief but with love. He stroke the old paint gently with his fingers and without a breath through his parted lips. He looked as though he were reunited with an old friend.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it," I whisper yelled pulling myself up from my seat and began pacing the room.

"You're a bit distracting," he commented but didn't quite have the decency to turn around and look at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said sarcastically placing my hand over my chest and gave a tight smile, "did I interrupt your sadistic mental attack on my brain? I am so sorry that I am disturbing your little sicko moment with a piece of furniture but I have to figure out who the hell my family is!"

My chest rose and fell but he didn't turn around, "Where was all of this energy for the months that I've been at school and you were stuck under your girlfriend and bathing in the limelight of that damn school, huh? Where was this energy weeks ago when I was haunted by a damn piece of furniture?"

"You know Diana," he began only slightly adjusting his body towards me, "that temper of yours has always been a force to be reckoned with."

He paused for a moment, "And I haven't spoken to Liz in weeks."

"Liza," I corrected, "her name is Liza."

I simmered down not wanting him to be right. He moved away from the wardrobe and towards me. His right hand was clenched into a fist and his left reached for me but I stepped out of reach. He dangled the key in front of my eyes then gestured to the wardrobe.

"Open it," he instructed. His long curly hair was loose below his shoulder blades and his eyes were light brown but for some reason seemed cold.

"Why?" I asked taking another step back.

"Because you need to learn the truth," he answered. The only muscles he moved as he spoke were the ones in his lips. He was statue still.

"No, I need to wait for my grandma and then ask her about what happened while I was little to jog my memory," I responded sitting on my bed.

"Diana, do you remember how or even when you got here?" He put down his hand and asked calmly almost as though I would break.

But I was going to break. I felt that on the lightest touch my body would shatter into a million pieces. The world around me made no sense and my head was riding the tilta world but I was still there. I was sitting there with a boy in my room with no mother or father there to punish me for disobedience. There wasn't even a memory of them. Not a song they sang. Not a toy they gave me. I laid back breathlessly and watched the room turn.

I felt the foot of my bed sink in but silence filled the room. I knew that Jack was waiting for me to collect myself but the added emotional stress of wearing my school uniform for so long after school was immensely frustrating.

"Diana," he whispered.

"I can't remember my mom, Jack," I whispered turning my head to see him looking at me. Tears clouded my eyes but I wouldn't let them flow over.

"Diana," he whispered, "I remember your parents and they aren't good people."

He slowly reached for my hand that was placed on my comforter not reaching nearly half the length of my ridiculously long skirt. I pulled my hand away and leaned up on my shoulders. He didn't seem fazed.

"I can't go in," I whispered sadly, "there's something waiting for me."

"I promise that anything waiting for you in there is good," he explained.

"But that's not why I'm scared of it," I pressed.

"Why then?" He interrogated.

I sat up straight beside him and sighed with my hands clasped on my lap, "I felt something when it came. Like it wanted to hurt me but didn't because it cared what happened to me. It wanted to take me with it."

He sat silently and listened. Something listened over his shallow brown eyes that I couldn't quite recognize. He never commented on what I felt or even on the idea that something tried to hurt me. I knew that there was something to be said about his silence but I had to trust him. He did want to fit me into a small enclosed space.

"Will you come with me?" I asked standing to my feet.

He shook his head.

"Why not?" I sighed lightly holding the bridge of my nose.

"You have to do this on your own," he answered still seated on my bed.

I had to think for a second. There was a gorgeous stranger sitting on my bed insisting that I jump into a wardrobe. He won't get in with me and he seems to have fits of psychosis. He sat with his dirty school boot on my comforter, my favorite comforter.

"Give it," I instructed holding out my hand for the key.

I took it and went towards the menacing piece of furniture whispering a prayer beneath my breath for my safety. I placed the key into the lock and it was a perfect fit. I shuttered as a wind blew through the wardrobe. My back stiffened as I turned the key and heard a click before opening the door and going in.