Chapter 12: Old Farm House

"Is this it?" I marveled as we stepped onto soft grass.

"Indeed it is," Allioni confirmed taking a few steps forward then adjusting his glasses over his wide eyes.

Jack took a few steps forward and stood beside Allioni placing his hands on his hips, "Welcome to Alexandria," he remarked.

I gasped as I looked out into the open field we stood in. The grass wasn't like the one in the in-between as they were a crisp green, and the air was the smelt like spring time. There wasn't a single sound of a car engine to disturb the peace or the wailing of a bird to threaten the quiet. There was a line of trees around a dirt road preventing much luck when trying to see through.

The day seemed to be coming to an end as the sun not only fell but turned a light blue as it did. We stood in a field a few miles away from a large castle made of iron and steel. I could see the town beneath as people scurried along and horses trotted along oblivious to our presence. I couldn't make out much more due to the tree barrio.

"Guess your not in Kansas anymore," Jack chuckled.

Allioni walked over to him and extended his arm offering Jack a white ring he held in his hands, "I took the opportunity to create one of Isla's containment rings. This should contain your shifting back to Arlow until we have properly controlled your power," Allioni explained.

Jack slipped the ring onto his wedding finger and examined it as it glowed on his hand, "Not too bad," he commented.

Allioni sat on the grass with his legs crossed yoga style and began to move his right hand in a circular motion over his left palm. By the time the sun finally fully fell Allioni was still moving his hands around in a circular motion.  It reminded me of what Aang would do when he was attempting water bending for the first time.

"Just as I thought," Allioni finally said, "I cannot use magic right now. It may have something to do with the fact that it has been many years since we last used it, but I still don't see how all of this adds up with me as I have been using it every day," Allioni said. It was a little off-putting to see Allioni confused.

It wasn't exactly the best feeling when your guide around a new world was unable to protect you from its dangers. Even Jack seemed worried as he raised his thick eye brows at Allioni. The pair seemed to so odd as they just stared at Allioni's hands.

"We should get going," Jack said pointing to a small farmhouse about a yard off finally changing the subject from Allioni, "we need to rest up before we go out."

"Agreed," Allioni said before standing up and sauntering from us to the farmhouse.

"How are you holding up?" Jack asked as we were halfway to the house, "I've only ever heard you this quiet when Liza discusses her fitness regime."

I laughed a little, "So you do remember her name," I joked.

"Of course I remember her name," he said adjusting the ring on his finger, "I remember a lot of things about her. I really liked her."

I nodded my head solemnly, "This must be pretty hard for you. Ya know, with the whole two different lives thing."

He nodded his head, "It is pretty rough leaving everything behind especially when I had friends and a life. A really good life too," he shrugged.

I saw sadness in his eyes as we stood in front of the farm house and Allioni entered inside. We faced each other almost as though we were feeling each other's pain.

"Ya know Jack... sometimes simple is boring," I said folding my arms over my chest, "I kind of like the idea of there being something I was made to do. Feels like the universe knows I exist."