Chapter 29: Gone

When I walked through the wardrobe that night, I was eager to share what I heard. I couldn't wait to see Jack's face when I told him that I knew exactly when everything was going down. I was sure that Allioni would come up with some new plan that would end my suffering, but when I looked around no one was there.

"Allioni! Jack!" I called into the field. I began to worry as I noticed there was no fire burning in our spot.

I walked over to the small hut that I woke up in the day that I saw my visions. Much to my surprise, the hut was completely bare. Though the pale moonlight barely afforded me enough light to see, I could tell that there was nothing in there. The hut was never a five-star resort, but it always had something. There would at least be a blanket and pillow.

"Guys?" I asked as I exited the hut. Fear began to creep over me as I remained alone.

I swiftly walked towards the house hoping that they were camped out there. I pushed the creaky door open and walked in. I crept through the tiny space as I whispered their names. I got no response.

My pulse quickened as I rushed back outside. The words, "don't come back without it" ran through my mind a million times over. I couldn't imagine how that worked seeing as he was supposed to be waiting for the weapon. How could they not be there? The man and his wife weren't even there.

SNAP

I gasped as I looked out into the field. The tall forest trees began to fall rapidly making a straight line in my direction.

"God, I hope that's not a person," I whispered to myself as I began to walk backward, "whatever it is, I'm not gonna wait to find out.

I raced back into the house. Thinking back, my best bet would have been to jump through the wardrobe portal, but when in the face of death, a person throws reason out the window.

The second I ran into the house, I was stopped by a tall figure blocking my path. At that moment, instincts kicked in. I picked up a shard of glass resting on the small circular table and held it to their neck.

"Diana, is this necessary?" A familiar voice asked.

"Whisper?" I breathed, "Whisper, I thought you were dead! I thought-"

"I know what you thought," he said cutting me off, "but I will be dead if you don't keep your voice down and close that door."

I kicked the door shut and kept the glass to his neck, "Where the hell have you been, and where the hell is Jack and Allioni?" I whispered through gritted teeth.

Whisper swallowed a lump in his throat. It was still dark in the house, so I could only assume cutting him would get a vain. He barely moved so I took that as a sign he understood how serious I was.

"Diana, I don't know where they are, but I have suspicions that you may," he said in a choked voice.

"Oh, to hell with the riddles! I want answers!" I demanded a bit loudly. The sound of the trees dropping began to get louder.

"If a tree drops in the middle of the woods, and nobody was around to hear it. Does it make a sound?" He asked in a choked whisper. I furrowed my brows at him, but he continued, "The answer is yes. It doesn't matter if anyone knows that the tree falls it will make a sound."

"What does that have to do with anything?" I asked resisting the nerve to drive the knife deeper into his skin.

"Jack and Allioni are around, and their trying to get back to you, but no one is around to hear it," he explained.

I removed the blade from his neck as the moon lit the room. There were bruises plastered on his skin. He looked as though he had gone through war and barely survived. I rested my fingers on his bleeding cheek and stared at his blood.

"Gold?" I whispered as I looked at the glimmering liquid on my fingertips.

Whisper fell to the ground, pulling me down with him as a loud bang sounded off right outside the house. He held his index finger up to his lip to silence me as a metallic clanking repeated outside. I shook a bit as I pointed to the bedroom. I knew that if we stayed there, they would see us for sure.

Whisper nodded and followed me as I crawled into the bedroom. I heard laughter from outside, but I knew my safest bet was to keep going. I had successfully made it, resentfully crawling across the door. I rested my back on the door of a wardrobe.

"Diana, get inside," Whisper whispered pointing at the wardrobe.

"No," I whispered shaking my head as shadows walked past the window.

"Diana," he whisper-yelled.

"Nope," I shook my head again. I pressed my lips together and continued to shake my head as I heard footsteps at the stairs.

He ran his hand through his hair and exhaled lightly, "Don't make me do this," he seethed.

"I am not going through another wardrobe!" I whisper yelled.

He exhaled loudly, "Diana," he said in a cool whisper, "get in the wardrobe."

In an inexplicable moment, my body went into autopilot. I stood up and opened the wardrobe. I didn't even think twice before stepping in. I didn't even take into account the fact that I was pretty sure that the wardrobe wasn't there the last time I was in that room.

When I stepped in, Whisper followed standing beside me. I heard the front door kick open as Whisper closed in the doors of the wardrobe. He held his index finger up to his lips and hushed me as footsteps lead to us.