Chapter 21: Plan

The last vision I saw centered around me. I was in a castle, surrounded beautiful people in elegant outfits. I saw the king sitting on his throne drinking something out of a silver cup. He took a moment to speak to someone, leaving his cup unattended for a fraction of a second, providing the perfect moment for me to slay the king, but something distracted me.

***

Before I could see what had distracted me, I was back in the field, alone. I looked around for any sound of angry feet beating against the earth, but was relieved to only find the flowers on the ground. I was still breathing a bit heavy as my heart erupted in my chest.

"Diana!" Jack called running towards me. I smiled a little as he neared me.

"Jack," I whispered as my heart filled with joy. I suppose my body had had enough because the second Jack wrapped me into a hug, my body went weak, and I passed out.

I came to a few hours later in a small space next to the house. Jack sat next to me as I laid on the somewhat soft mat on the floor of the hut. He smiled down at me as I fluttered my eyes open, almost as though he were relieved that I opened them.

"What is this?" I asked attempting to sit up.

Jack gently guided me back into my position, "No, no, no, lay down while Allioni gets you water," he instructed, "he built this place for us to stay for the time being."

I took a look around, and squinted my eyes at the small room built of hay and sticks squinting at it, "How long is the time being, because no," I groaned.

"I suppose it could have a few major adjustments," Allioni said as he shuffled into the room, "but, I really did try."

I frowned a little feeling a pang of guilt, "Sorry Ally. It is pretty impressive you've done this in so little time," I smiled.

Allioni effortlessly sat on the floor beside me without letting a drop of water escape the bucket, "Where did you go? You'd been out for a while," Allioni asked drawing water out of the bucket with a ladle, and bringing it to my lips.

After drinking I responded, "I was in the in-between," I informed them shaking my head, "I saw some things."

"Things?" Allioni pressed. Jack leaned in listening to what I was about to say.

I explained what I saw. Both boys looked both confused and intrigued by my revelation. I looked at the as Jack knitted his eyebrows, and Allioni rested his index finger on his pointy chin. They both seemed entirely concerned, but I was hoping that Jack would let me know if the girl he was with was who I thought she was.

"Why are you two acting like that?" I asked after two minutes of silence.

Jack cleared his throat and gave me a worried look, but didn't speak. Instead, he laid down beside me and looked at the top of the hut. His silence was stressing me out.

"I believe that Jack may be a bit concerned, because as I told you when you first came to The in Between, some may see the past, all may see the present, but none may see the future," Allioni explained.

"So?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Diana ... you saw the future," Jack whispered.

"What? How?" I asked shaking my head.

"You saw yourself at the king's ball that hasn't happened yet," Allioni explained, "I'm not sure how though."

"Is how really that important?" I asked looking over at Jack who was still staring at the ceiling.

"I suppose not," Allioni said. I looked at Allioni and couldn't help but picture that girl he was with.

"I think I know how I'm going to get to the ball," I confessed. They both looked at me, attentively hanging onto every word that escaped my mouth.

"When I got my vision," I began, "there were three girls around me. For some reason, I just know that they knew me. They wore crests on their dresses. I don't know what for though.'

"They must be noble men's daughters," Jack said finally sitting up, dawning a giant smile on his face, "that means that they'll be invited."

"So, if Diana can find a way to befriend these girls, she can also be invited to the king's ball," Allioni added, "brilliant."

"But, how would you ever get near them?" Jack asked raising his eyebrow.

In a moment, I felt like I was watching life play out on a TV show. The girls from the ball were moving down the street in white carriages with the same crests as before. People were lined up on the side of the street to watch them. The only indication of the time was a poster on the wall of a building that read: MAGES FIGHTING FESTIVAL TODAY!

"They're going to be there in two days," I explained shaking my head. They looked over me as we went over the facts.

"I think that we should try to figure my magic out in those two days. After that, I can go to the fighting festival, and see if I could meet the girls. Then, I gain their trust and infiltrate the castle. By day, I'll be in Alexandria, and by night, I'll be back here," I explained.

"You shouldn't go out there alone," Jack warned, "I don't know ... I kind of feel like we're sending you on a suicide mission."

I scoffed a little, "Oh, now you care?" I asked sitting up, "Where was this energy when you were about to give me away for Calypso?"

He looked down, and chuckled nervously, "Diana, it's very complicated."

"What's so complicated about it?" I laughed, "You knew it was dangerous, but you wanted me to go. Now, I am going to help that woman whether you like it or not."

"Diana," he said looking deep into my eyes as though already apologizing to me, "I've let her down before in the most unforgivable way, I can't let her down again."

Who's excited for their journey to begin?

Don't forget to vote!