Chapter 41: Jail Break

"Diana, you must leave," Benny warned as he ran to my cage with a ring of keys in hand, "you're not safe here."

He seemed incredibly on the edge which was understandable seeing as he was about to aid in a jail break. His hands wouldn't stop shaking as I tried to think of how and why he would help me. Sure we spent a lot of time together, but most of that time was used to tell me how irresponsible I was. I couldn't think of a single reason why he would do such a thing.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing?" I whisper yelled at him as he swung the cell door open.

"I'm letting you out. What do you think I'm doing?" He retorted in a lower but still mousy voice.

"No way," I whispered closing the cell door again, "I'll get out of this on my own. I won't risk you getting thrown in jail!"

"Margaret, that man will kill you like he's done all of the other's who have worked for his daughters when they learn too much," he warned swinging the cell door back open.

"Why would he do that?"

"Let's just say that man has too much to hide," he said attempting to pull me out of the cell.

I stayed put and held my finger out at him, "Benny, if he can kill them he will kill you, and I can't carry that burden of knowing it was my fault. Leave before it's too late."

"Would you too just shut the hell up and leave? I am trying to get some beauty rest before my big show!" Jack yelled from his cell with his forehead resting on the bars.

I huffed and stepped out of my cell with a small thank you to Benny. Knowing that he put his life on the line for me made my heart melt just a little, but the fact that when he would get caught he would die ruined the sentimental value. Still, I decided not to focus on that, but to worry about the task at hand.

I didn't let Jack leave though. Even though he sat there just staring at me with a strange hatred in his eyes I couldn't hate him. He was too much for anyone at the moment and showed no desire to relax. I didn't think I was ready to handle him without Allioni. It actually pained me to leave him, but I knew I'd come back for him.

"Please don't let anyone see you or else- " he began as we emerged into the staircase that would lead us back to the second floor of the castle.

"Wait, I need my satchel," I said turning around and heading towards the sleeping guard.

He was sitting on a chair with his head bowed and eyes closed. Small snores left his mouth as I reached beside his seat and grabbed my satchel. Luckily, he didn't wake up and just laid there while I stretched over his body and snatched my stolen treasure. I was almost offended that they made him watch us.

"Was that necessary?" Benny asked as we made our way down the hall.

"Very," I said as I slipped the orb into my bag and prayed it didn't glow too brightly.

We walked down the hallway that was pretty empty and rushed for the door. Everyone was busy preparing for the ball, so I suppose that was the reason for the desolate rooms and hallways we passed. We were able to scurry towards the door passing the gold walls and resisting the urge to snatch a piece of it as I passed.

We were able to make it past the guards on the floor, but our smooth sailing ended when Sir Itachi made his way down the same hall with the girls. For a moment, our eyes met and I could see confusion full them as he saw me then, rage as he saw Benny still clutching the keys to his chest.

"Margaret," Winter called scurrying towards me with her long evening gown flowing as she walked, " I'm so glad you're here! I thought that you were going back to your family today."

I looked over her shoulder and saw Sir Itachi grinding his teeth as he looked at me, "Where'd you hear that?" I asked already knowing that it was obvious Sir Itachi didn't want them to know about my imprisonment.

"Father told us," Summer added from beside him, "it was a little rude to leave without saying goodbye."

I nodded carefully and faked a smile, "Of course it is. That's why I came to tell you guys that I'm leaving," I explained.

"Are you really going back to your family?" Winter asked with sadness in her icy blue eyes.

"Yeah, your dad told me that I was free to go," I lied trying to avoid eye contact with Sir Itachi.

"Well, you don't have to leave tonight, don't you?" Winter asked.

"Well, I suppose not but-,"

"Great, that means you can go to the ball with us!" Winter cheered clapping her dainty little hands.

I looked over her shoulder to her father who was shooting dagger eyes at me. Going to the ball was the whole point of me even doing any of this in the first place. It would make more sense for me to stay in the castle and go then get Jack and Ally after.

"Ya know, I don't really think that your dad would appreciate that very much," I responded reading the signs of anger off Sir Itachi's face.

Surprisingly enough, Summer spoke up, "I mean, if you're going to just leave us high and dry like that you might as well give us one more night together," she mumbled looking at the ground. Even Itachi looked at her in a bit of shock.

"Well," Sir Itachi coughed, "if Margaret would like to come I see no reason why not."

All eyes were on me. I felt more pushed into a corner than when I was facing peer pressure in middle school. I knew that I had to face my situation head on and do what was best for the boys and me, but making that decision was harder than it looked.

"Ya know what?" I smiled at the girls, "I'd love to go."