Chapter 5: Expecto Patronum

Another dead giveaway with the title! Sorry! Well, you never know... it might not even be a dementor... *cough*

It had been a week since Tina had found the Boggart.

It had become but a story told whenever someone took great amusement in seeing her turn the shade of a beetroot and Newt suddenly find that his creatures needed half-an-hour's worth of attending to.

Newt was clearing away the table while Tina supervised the dishes, who were magically scrubbing themselves.

Newt placed the salt shaker back into the pantry, muttered something about it being late and shuffled quietly back to his room.

Tina watched him turn the corner into the bedroom before finishing up with the dishes.

He had just finished checking his creatures one more time before getting ready for bed, when Jacob walked into the room.

"Newt, have you seen my keys? I left them on the table a moment ago..."

He turned around and opened one of the drawers, then another.

Newt was about to respond when Jacob opened the third drawer and his Niffler was revealed trying to stuff a shiny gold key into its pouch.

It took one look at Jacob and Newt, and bolted for the door.

"Oh no you don't!"

Newt fired a spell that abruptly shut the door in its face. He picked up the tiny creature and pulled the key from its pouch.

"Must've missed the little bugger when I counted my creatures," he murmured.

Jacob chuckled as he took the keys from Newt's outstretched palm.

"Thank you very much," said Jacob.

Newt opened his case and placed the Niffler gently inside, muttering to it under his breath as he did so.

He climbed back into his bed and carefully placed his wand on his desk with a small 'clack'.

That was the last noise either of them heard for a long time.

Newt suspected that Jacob had fallen asleep a while ago, but he couldn't will himself to stop thinking about... well... anything, really.

He closed his eyes and felt the comforting whirlpool of sleep almost carry him away, but something tugged at his mind.

Something wasn't right.

You're being stupid, Newt.

There's nothing wrong.

But there was.

And it wasn't just a feeling.

His eyes flashed open and he came face-to-face with a leathery, black sheet.

It didn't have a face, it wasn't human.

It was...

Newt didn't have time to think about what it was as it wrapped a thick sheet of silk around his throat and began to squeeze.

Newt was being choked by a black bedsheet. He found have found it terribly amusing had it not been happening to him.

He grappled desperately for his wand and let out a gasping noise.