Chapter 9: Muffliato

Newt had always liked cats, but cats never seemed to like him.

Even when he was younger he used to love watching cats or Kneazles playing with each other or chasing things, but they never let him get too close without covering him in scratches.

The fact that this particular cat shared a name with him made Newt want more than anything to make peace with the tiny creature, but it had no such ideas planned apparently.

"It's only in a cage, Newt... it can't hurt you," reassured Jacob with a small smile.

He held out a hand and Newt grasped it firmly.

As he got to his feet, Artemis narrowed his icy blue eyes at him.

Newt smiled apologetically.

"Cats never seem to like me," he cleared up sadly.

Queenie responded first.

"They don't like Tina either."

Tina looked back at Queenie and tried changing the subject.

"Is your middle name really Artemis?" She asked Newt.

He stared at the floor, red spreading across his cheeks.

"Yep. Brilliant, isn't it?" He mumbled, trying to muster up some humour.

Tina felt sorry for him. It wasn't a bad name.

"It's a nice name," she said instead. That sounded kinder.

Newt looked up and gazed straight at her for a split second. Tina felt heat rush to her cheeks.

Queenie petted the kitten again and it purred soothingly.

"We don't have any room in the house for it," rang out Tina's voice, cleaving the silence in two.

Queenie turned around to find Tina already facing her, with Newt standing less than a metre behind her, she noticed not-exactly-innocently.

"But she's so pretty!" Said Queenie wistfully.

"You're right. And I'd love a cat, but we just don't have room for it." Countered Tina.

That's when Newt had a brilliant idea.

As they were leaving the little pet store, Newt made eye contact with Tina, who seemed slightly taken aback and confused at first.

He tried to casually strike up conversation and asked her about the cat.

"You really don't have room for that kitten?"

"We do, but not once it grows older. It'll be too big to fit in a cat bed in our kitchen," Tina replied warily.

"I can help with that," offered Newt.

His palms suddenly felt clammy and he kicked himself for thinking up this idea.

"I mean, only if you want me to... I don't mind, but only if you want to get the cat for Queenie or something..." he trailed off.

Tina was watching him as they followed Queenie and Jacob winding around stores.

"You're suggesting that we get the kitten for Queenie? As a Christmas gift?" Tina said slowly.

"Yeah, something like that. I can do an undetected extendable charm inside a cupboard or closet."

"Like the one on your suitcase?" Asked Tina, a smile gradually blooming across her face.

"Yes," was all Newt said, as he felt himself beaming.

"Excellent. We can surprise Queenie on Christmas Day."

Tina's smile vanished.

Christmas Day was tomorrow, and it hit them both at the same time.

Newt cringed. He knew he never should have thought of this. It was the stupidest idea!

"What's the stupidest idea?" Called Queenie over her shoulder.

Jacob glanced back at Newt. Tina looked sideways at Newt. Everyone was looking at Newt, who'd flushed a brilliant shade of red.

"N-nothing... nothing important?" He stuttered and tried flimsily to cover up his mistake.

Newt often forgot that Queenie could read minds. It was extremely irritating.

"A lot of people forget. Makes life so much more interesting, don't you think?" Mused Queenie.

Newt groaned and scrubbed at his face. This was going to be tricky.

Queenie giggled.

Jacob asked her a question about her Legilimency, which gave Tina the perfect chance to talk about Newt's idea.

"It's not stupid. I can adopt Artemis if you can place an extension charm on the empty closet in the living room."

Newt met her eyes again and she almost tripped over her own shoes.

"Deal," he confirmed, grinning.    

I randomly taught myself how to play the Fantastic Beasts theme on Marimba (yes I play percussion). I might post some otp questions and tag people >:3 soon.

OK THAT WAS RANDOM. Sorry about this chapter. I feel like the whole story is written sloppily and is just trailing off on different plot strings. Then I remembered that the past couple chapters happened over the course of a few hours so... *help me this is a sign that im going insane*

Muffliato is a spell that fills everyone within hearing range's ears with a high-pitched buzzing sound. So they can't overhear conversations.

I think that Newt and Tina wish that they could use this spell on everyone around them so their adorable Christmas plans aren't spoiled XD

Here's a picture I drew in band rehearsal today...

haha look how bad my handwriting is

I randomly made cats not like Newt or Tina, so that'll make for some interesting chapters in the future... be prepared!