Chapter 35: Geminio

Needless to say, Newt's new year started out perfectly.

He spent it miles away from his own country, but still at home. Miles away from his family, but still with friends. And miles away from who he was one- no, two years ago, but still the same person. And it was the best night of his life.

The quartet talked late into the night, until it was nearly 1:00am, when Queenie slogged off to bed with a headache, Jacob following suit a minute later.

Newt and Tina were left on the balcony. The fireworks had ended half-an-hour ago, the wispy smoke floating through the sky being the only trace that they ever existed.

"So..." started Tina, though she wasn't sure what to say next and wasn't even planning on speaking.

"So..." echoed Newt, still not completely making eye contact. He was shifting uncomfortably on his feet, watching a point just over her right shoulder.

She breathed a laugh.

"Happy New Year."

Newt tried and failed to stop himself from smiling.

A second passed. Then another.

"Uhh- when are you planning to go to sleep?"

"I'm not tired."

Newt gave her an incredulous look.

"Not tired? Tina, it's 1:00am."

She shifted her weight from one foot to the other uncomfortably, watching the sky again.

"We could just- you know... talk."

Another couple seconds of silence. Tina feared she'd said something wrong, something that crossed the boundaries. Newt was gazing at the city again. Eventually he turned back to Tina.

"I'd be happy to."

"How do you- oh that's right... you prefer tea..."

Tina pointed her wand at a second mug and a teaspoon floated into it and languidly stirred the tea inside.

"Please don't tell me you're drinking coffee," sighed Newt, watching her lift her own mug from the table.

"Actually, I think I'll have tea. Coffee will just keep me awake." She chuckled quietly to herself and took the second mug from the table.

Newt grinned, proud of himself for swaying her to tea. Well, for now, at least.

Tina quietly placed his mug on the table and hugged hers to her chest, sinking onto the couch next to him.

"Thank you," murmured Newt, reaching for the mug. A content silence hung between them.

"So..." Newt started. Tina looked at him curiously.

"Tina Goldstein has officially chosen tea over coffee," He finished, knowing full well that he was about to receive hell from Tina Goldstein.

He was right.

"Now that's unfair. It's just this once."

"But it still counts."

"No it doesn't! I still prefer coffee."

Newt looked aghast. Fighting his grin, he watched the table and mumbled "I don't know how. Coffee is so bitter."

"It's not bitter; it's strong! Or are you too weak to handle coffee?" She added with a playful smirk.

"Now I'll have you know that some herbal teas are extremely strong..."

"So you're an expert in tea now?"

And so it went on.

They only stopped arguing about beverages when Tina asked him about his favourite parts of 1927.

Newt thought a while about that question. Eventually he answered slowly, not quite looking at her.

"Well it was the first year I'd lived in a different country... I liked being able to spend more time with you... and- um- and everyone else, of course-" Newt scratched his neck, blushing.

"I liked Christmas... that was fun. But I think my favourite part of this- I mean last year was probably the day when I first arrived in New York again. That day when we all saw each other again."

Newt finished quietly, his eyes glazed over, cast back to the memory almost exactly a year ago. Tina was watching him, her face expressionless, bar the deep soulful look in her eyes that Newt still hadn't deciphered, despite seeing it there for twelve months.

"That was my favourite part of last year as well."

A pause.

"Along with ice-skating."

Both of them smiled simultaneously.

The pair chatted for a long while, sipping their tea and conversing about different topics, sharing their opinions and ideas, until they grew tired of talking and sat together in contented silence.

It could have been hours, could have been minutes: neither of them were counting, but eventually, Tina and Newt fell asleep, still curled up on the couch.

A short chapter but idc.

It's called Geminio because it's a spell used to duplicate something. And... I don't know... two cups of tea? Two adorable cinnamon rolls? *when you're slightly thankful that the story is ending soon because you're running out of chapter names*

So this wasn't super fluffy, BUT! I promise you will FLIP OUT over the next one ;)

Also, I'm releasing these chapters really fast, one after another. This is like, the fifth one this weekend... Merlin's beard...

I'm just really excited!

Okay, I'll stop publishing chapters and just wait a while to create some anxious Newtina anticipation... OOOH WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN???

bye... again qwq