Chapter 18: Apercium

A slight tapping sound reverberated through Newt's suitcase as he sat leaning forward in his chair, head resting sideways on numerous books, notes and pieces of paper, his scruffy hair falling across his face.

"Newt?"

Tina's head appeared at the top of the ladder.

Newt started with a jolt and hit his head on a shelf hanging just above him. He scrambled to his feet, shovelling the papers to the back of his desk as she climbed into his shed.

"You said you'd show me how to draw... remember?" She tried, watching him cringe and rub his head.

"Uhh, Yes. Yes I did," he replied uncertainly, lowering his hand.

"Let me just make some room..." he mumbled, stuffing the clutter of his desk in shelves, cupboards, and wherever there was enough space.

Tina leaned down to pick something up from the floor. A slightly crumpled sheet of paper, with something drawn on it.

"It's Topaz," She murmured to herself.

"I'm sorry?" He said, looking back at her.

Tina paused for a second.

"This is Topaz, isn't it?" She asked, holding up the picture.

Newt winced.

"Yes."

Tina looked back at the drawing and placed it carefully on his desk.

"It's really good."

Newt simpered slightly.

Before she could thank him properly for teaching her, Newt spun around and reached for an elegant black feather quill sitting on a shelf. Dragging a matching pot of ink from the back of his desk, he asked Tina if she'd brought something to draw in.

"Yes," was all she said as she held up her Thunderbird book and a sleek, shiny blue quill.

Newt stopped mid-hustle and leaned forward.

"Is that..."

"An Occamy feather," they finished together.

Tina smiled at him. Newt recoiled slightly and set his writing materials down.

"Where did you find that?" He murmured quietly.

She ran her fingers over the smooth, glistening feather blades.

"It was stuck to my coat. After we found your Occamy inside the department store."

"And you made it into a quill," he added, smiling.

Tina grinned.

Newt dipped his black quill into the gold-ringed pot and sketched a fluffy ear.

Tina started to copy him, her sapphire blue quill scratching on the yellow parchment.

"If you're drawing a Thunderbird, then the ears are slightly pointier," he instructed, peering over at her work.

Tina thought for a bit, then traced over the ear again, adding an apex where Newt had drawn a curve.

He went back to his drawing and outlined eyes.

Tina watched him for a bit, then made two lemon-shaped eyes on either side of her Thunderbird.

"Looking good!" He commented happily.

"Well, it's better than my last attempt," she answered, scratching in the beak.

Newt finished his badger's head and began outlining the body and legs.