Chapter 12: Ascendio

"Newt! Wake up!"

He cracked his eyes open just as Jacob shoved open the curtains.

Newt hissed and buried his face underneath his pillow as light poured through the room.

"It's Christmas!"

Newt gave up and lobbed the pillow across the room.

"Nahh..." he half-heartedly moaned, and curled up underneath the blankets.

He hadn't been able to sleep until very late last night.

So many thoughts and feelings and memories swirled through his brain, and he couldn't stop thinking about Diagon Alley, or his new animal, or Artemis the kitten, or-

Newt paused.

Artemis.

He practically leaped out of bed and got dressed faster than he had ever done in his life. Jacob seemed satisfied with that and they both headed towards the living room.

The pair crept down the corridor, just in case the sisters were still sleeping, and almost made it, had not been for Tina thrusting the door to their room wide open and almost hitting Jacob in the face.

"Ah! Sorry Jacob!"

Queenie emerged out behind Tina, beaming.

"No harm done," replied Jacob, rubbing his eyes.

Newt then noticed that everyone was already dressed. How long had he been asleep?

Queenie peeked her head around Tina and edged her way out of the room. Newt followed her gaze and blinked. Twice.

For in the living room, nestled neatly underneath their Christmas tree, were a cluster of beautifully wrapped gifts, each with little name tags on them.

"Look!" He blurted out, not really thinking about what he was going to say.

Everyone looked towards the tree. Then at each other.

It took the four of them about five seconds to figure out what to do next.

They almost tripped over each other to get to the living room.

Newt spied a large, slightly lumpy present with his name written in loopy handwriting on the tag. He went for that one, and hesitated only a moment before shredding off the wrapping paper and pulling out the contents:

A knitted jumper.

Newt pulled out the woolly sweater and raised it out of the wrappings, holding it by the shoulders.

It was a subtle dark grey colour, with a yellow 'N' at the front.

Tina was watching him, her own gift forgotten in her hands.

"You're a Hufflepuff," She pieced together, a smile spreading itself across her face.

Newt grinned and pulled on the jumper over his vest.

"Yes I am," He said, admiring the kitting.

Tina went back to opening her own present. It was rather small and rectangular, wrapped expertly in gold paper.

"Save the wrapping paper!" Called Queenie, spotting Tina's indecisiveness.

She obliged, rolling her eyes, and gently picked at the side until it pulled away.