Chapter 7: Baubillious

Newt had disappeared right after lunch and didn't return again until dinner.

Queenie had asked Jacob where he had gone, and, not surprisingly, Jacob told her that he was inside his suitcase.

That was expected.

What wasn't expected, was the fact that Newt wouldn't let anyone come inside, not even to help him take care of his new animal.

Queenie was beginning to grow worried about him. Tina was beginning to grow irritated with him. Jacob was beginning to grow incredibly curious about his creature.

When Newt left again after dinner, Tina had had enough.

She waited until she heard the telltale click of his case closing and crept into his and Jacob's bedroom.

Tina hesitated a moment before flicking open the lid of the case, only to come face-to-face with a large slab of wood.

A trapdoor, she realised with no small amount of satisfaction,

Newt had built a trapdoor at the top of the ladder? Tina couldn't believe it.

He was shutting everyone out.

She frowned and tried prying it open with her fingers. It creaked loudly in response, but didn't budge a bit.

Tina huffed loudly.

Trying to avoid making any more noise, she left the trapdoor be and stalked out of the room without another sound.

She was awfully quiet the next couple weeks, but made a point of reminding Newt that he didn't need to be there for his beasts-

"Every five minutes! The last time someone had a proper conversation with you ended with you leaving to go check on your animals!"

Queenie has sided with her sister on that issue, but she had other matters on her mind, that were more important in her opinion.

Like Christmas shopping, apparently.

Tina had discovered bags full of festive decorations, presents, and ornaments days after she lectured Newt.

And to her dismay, a little sprig of mistletoe with her name written into the stem. A joke, she presumed, and thought that it would make a nice substitute for wood to keep the fireplace going.

Meanwhile, Newt was trying harder to spend some time with his friends. Jacob had reminded him about Christmas the week before, as he presumed Newt had forgotten.

He presumed right.

Nobody got each other gifts, according to Queenie, but Tina shot her a dark look from across the dinner table when she said that, as if she'd already found something dodgy in one of the shopping bags.

Newt couldn't help but take a peek when he found that Queenie had bought an awful lot of things, including an enchanted pine tree that appeared to be so small it fit in Newt's palm, but blew up to the size of a large Christmas tree when it was whacked merciless with a hammer. Nothing with his or Jacob's name on it, he noticed, and was slightly relived to know that Queenie was telling the truth. Bar Tina's gift, whatever it was.

Jacob brought home red and green iced doughnuts twisted into the shape of an Occamy the day before Christmas Eve, intending to share them around after dinner.

And he would have, had it not been for Dougal stealing them one after another, and munching on them while he sat, invisible, in a corner, watching Jacob and Tina decorating the enchanted Christmas tree.