Chapter 6: Carpe Retractum

The next morning, everyone felt a little weary.

Newt was picking at his food, and Queenie was unusually quiet. Tina seemed detached and didn't speak to anyone, but whispered under her breath every few minutes "A porcupine..."

Jacob had left to work at his bakery an hour ago, slipping out the door with nothing more than a "See you guys later..." and a vague wave.

The three of them were left with an awkward silence hanging in the air.

Nobody mentioned the Lethifold.

Newt avoided looking at Tina, though he wasn't sure why. Eventually, he decided enough was enough, and he picked up his plate and placed it in the sink.

That's when a letter came sweeping swiftly under the door and landed at Queenie's feet.

She looked puzzled for a moment, but carefully leaned down to pick it up.

Newt looked up, then did a double take.

"That's mine!" He gasped, and frantically shot around the kitchen benchtop to grab it from the floor before Queenie could touch it.

She turned and raised a manicured eyebrow at Newt, who grinned awkwardly and backed out of the kitchen towards his room, clutching the letter tightly to his chest.

Tina and Queenie looked at each other, both curious, both amused.

Newt hurriedly shut his bedroom door and exhaled sharply.

He had a feeling he knew what was inside this letter.

He picked at the little red wax stamp until he was able to peel it away, and he opened the envelope.

It was exactly what he thought it would be.

Just a short, simple letter informing him that his parcel had arrived and was ready to be picked up.

Newt smiled to himself, stuffed the letter back inside the envelope and slipped it into one of his many coat pockets.

Tina had just dumped her plate in the sink when Newt came bustling out of his room, claiming he was going out for a while.

Tina made it to the front door before he did.

"Going out where?", she demanded, blocking his way by holding out her arm in front of the door.

"Just for a walk..." he mumbled, avoiding her piercing stare.

Tina glared at him.

"I need to pick up a parcel," he confessed.

Queenie smirked behind them.

Tina slowly lowered her hand.

Fine.

Newt saw his chance and bolted out the door before Tina changed her mind or decided to interrogate him further.

Instead, she looked over her shoulder at Queenie, who was staring at the now shut door.

"What do you suppose he's getting?" Queenie whispered excitedly.

Tina thought for a bit. She really couldn't say.

Newt returned an hour later holding a box so large, it obscured his face.

Queenie immediately sprang from her seat.