Chapter 16: Incendio

Newt's mysterious animal reveal ;) Before I start, lemme just say that a lot of your theories are right! (Sorry, but I'm not going to write everyone's names down who guessed correctly)

Read on my frens...

While Queenie and Jacob attempted to set up a game that none of them had played in years, Newt vanished inside his suitcase to find his new pet.

After covering his cage with a cloth, he climbed back out and quietly carried it down the corridor. Balancing the cage in one hand, he took a deep breath before knocking confidently on the sisters' bedroom door.

All confidence fizzled away when Tina opened the door and found Newt holding a cage draped in a tattered white cloth.

He attempted a smile, but decided that he didn't have enough courage and instead stood there awkwardly, staring at his shoes.

"Hello, Newt..." tried Tina.

He suddenly found himself again and remembered how to speak properly.

"Uhh, yes. Hello, Tina."

He shifted on his feet.

"I, um... I have something... for you," he finished quietly, heat blooming on his cheeks.

Tina's expression changed. Newt's heart thundered in his ears. He vaguely held the cage out to her.

"It's my new animal... he's a gift for you..."

Tina turned red until she matched him.

"Oh... thank you," she whispered, a hint of a smile on her face.

She carefully took the cage from Newt, but before she could say anything else, he spun around and bolted off down the corridor, leaving her slightly perplexed.

She could only assume that he was a little self-conscious and embarrassed. Tina tried calling his name, but he didn't respond. So instead, she closed the door and sat on her bed, holding the cage on her lap.

As she went to lift the cover, something fell out from underneath it.

Tina picked it up.

It was a piece of card, with a message on it scribbled out in loopy handwriting, which she recognised as Newt's.

Dear Tina,

I never thanked you properly for helping me with Artemis, so this is for you.

His name is Topaz, and he reminds me a lot of you.

I think it's the eyes.

~ Newt

Tina re-read the note a couple times before looking back at the cage.

Tentatively, she lifted the cover and peered underneath. She pulled the whole cloth off and beamed.

For inside the cage, nestled among an enchanted, eternally-burning fire, for it could not survive outside fire, sat a tiny crimson Salamander, staring straight back at Tina with deep, intense brown eyes.

Newt sprinted back to his and Jacob's room and flopped on the bed, panting slightly.

He had the vague sensation of Tina calling his name, but felt too overwhelmed and hyped to respond. He didn't think that he'd ever pluck up the courage to do that, though he had been wanting to for a long time.

Newt thought he heard her door shut, and didn't know what to feel. Given the fact that he had just successfully given Tina a heartfelt Christmas gift, he felt immensely proud and content.

With those emotions roiling around his head, he practically skipped into the living room, where Queenie was organising some cards into a pile.

"How do we play?" He asked, kneeling next to Jacob.

"Oh, it's pretty simple. There's a little conversation starter question on every card, and we take turns to draw cards and answer the question."

Newt thought that sounded pretty easy, and watched as Queenie shuffled the cards and pulled them away from Artemis, who was pawing at them in her lap.

"I'll go first," said Queenie, rubbing her hands.

Tina walked into the living room not a moment later, and took a seat in between Newt and Jacob. Queenie picked up a card from the pile, cleared her throat and read it out loud.

"Tell something you do in the morning. Oh, that's easy! Um... brushing your teeth."

It was Jacob's turn next. He swiped a card from the pile and did he same.

"Tell something you can hide with one hand."

He furrowed his brows and thought a bit.

"A matchbox," he said eventually.

"Oh, good job!" Exclaimed Tina, reaching for her card.

She frowned as she read it. Everyone waited patiently, curious.

"Tell something..." she started slowly.

"That you have in a drawer..." she finished.

"I have a drawer full of scarves, but I never wear them," said Tina finally.

Queenie giggled.

"I'll wear them for you! I love scarves!"

Newt and Jacob shared a look. Then Newt took off his scarf and draped it over Tina.

"You're a Hufflepuff, now!" He said, grinning, as he tied it around her.

"Newt..." she groaned, trying and failing to hide her smile.

Eventually Newt drew a card from the pile.

"Tell the last gift you gave," he whispered.

And automatically looked towards Tina, without thinking.

Nobody failed to notice that.

"It doesn't matter if it was a joint effort. Artemis was he last gift you gave, right?" Pushed Jacob.

Everyone was watching him now. Tina met his eyes.

Queenie's gaze darted between the two of them, and they both realised what she was doing at the same time.

"That's so sweet!" She gushed, watching both of them turn a brilliant shade of scarlett.

"QUEENIE!" They called at the same time.

She grinned an evil smile, watching the pair blush, then avoid eye contact, then blush some more.

"Well, I suppose it's my turn,then?" She asked, still grinning over what she found in their memories ofearlier that day.

🎉🎉🎉{:- Only ONE more day until Newt's birthday!!! -:}🎉🎉🎉

🎊✨🎇🎉 IT WAS A SALAMANDER! A lot of you were right.

The title is 'Incendio', because it's (as you probably know) a spell to set something on fire. I thought, because Salamanders can only survive near fire (unless they are constantly fed pepper XD), then 'Incendio' was a fitting name :3

I'm sorry if this is sloppily written, and I haven't posted in a while: I've officially been sucked into the whirlpool of academics... yay? HFKSAK;;FJHLD;AJFNH SCHOOL IS HARD

On a lighter note... Newt's birthday this Sunday (well for me, it's a Sunday)!!!

I'm actually going to wake up at 4am (so i don't disturb my family lol) and get a cake and sing happy birthday and eat all the cake myself and spend the next week trying to burn off the calories. Fun. That was not sarcasm.

haha, okay. I'm sorry my authors notes are always so long :p