Chapter 39: Lumos

Last chapter of Those Days! And what better way to start than with Queenie? (sorry, I know I was only 1 away from 40, and it's really long, but it would still be too short to split into two separate chapters) Before I start, I just want to say that- HOLY NIFFLERS I'M GETTING EMOTIONAL AND I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED KKKK sorry lol... ENJOY!

Queenie was watching Newt's nifflers in their burrow, fighting over a pocket watch.

It amused her how there were so many shiny objects in the little den, but all they were interested in was the gleaming gold watch. She leaned in closer. The watch didn't belong to Jacob, thankfully. She'd been worried that the nifflers snaffled it.

Where was Jacob?

Queenie wandered around the case until she saw him crouched behind a row of tall, potted plants next to Newt's shed. He had both hands gently pulling back the stalks of the plants and was busy peeping through the crack they made. Queenie tiptoed closer, curiosity blooming.

She knelt down beside him, and he paused his gawking long enough to flash her a giant grin.

"Jacob, honey? What are you looking at?"

"Shh... look," he whispered, shuffling over so Queenie could join him. She nervously peered between the pot plants. Her eyes widened. She turned back to Jacob, unable to find the right words.

"I know!" He whispered.

Queenie turned back to the crack in the plants and peeked through again.

It was the first time in a long while she'd seen Tina laughing. Not just a chuckle, but real laughing. Newt was laughing too. She heard Jacob's voice again.

"Did you know he could- y'know..." he trailed off, still watching the pair. Queenie shook her head. She'd never seen him dance. Tina must've taught him. A huge grin spread across Queenie's face as well. The two of them knelt behind the plants and continued watching them.

Queenie has to admit, he was good. Even though Newt was still learning, by the looks of it, the way he dipped her and twirled her around fascinated Queenie.

Tina was beaming a smile that could light up the world, and occasionally she murmured pieces of instructions, but then trailed off after a while and didn't say anything after that. Newt accidentally stepped on her toe, and she snatched her foot away while he apologised profusely.

Queenie and Jacob clapped their hands over heir mouths to stop themselves from bursting into laughter when Tina grinned at him and told him to "Stop apologising! That's the fourth time, Newt... you're not doing anything wrong!"

Newt looked back at her, grinning meekly. She mumbled something else to him which he nodded at, then gave her a mocking bow. Tina rolled her eyes, then took his hand and they started again.

Newt looked a little more confident this time, and he moved a little swifter than before. Whatever Tina said must've helped. He spun her around. Once, twice, then dipped her again. Lower, this time. Queenie and Jacob ducked further down behind the plants to avoid being seen.

Tina did something that looked like a skip and a triple step combined, which Queenie recognised as something she'd taught her when they were younger. She felt her heart swell with pride. Her sister remembered everything! And well, by the looks of it. She did the same step again, and then melted it into another twirl.

Queenie forgot they were meant to be hiding.

She leapt up, knocking over a couple pot plants, and starting clapping for them, a huge grin plastered across her face. Jacob followed a moment later, sticking his fingers in the corners of his mouth and whistling loudly.