Chapter 25: Imperio

Piles of unorganised papers sat strewn across the desk later that day.

Tina was trying her hardest to concentrate, but her mind couldn't help but wander in and out of thoughts. She sighed, scrubbed at her face, then picked up her Occamy feather quill and began filling out paperwork.

A few minutes later, someone appeared in the doorway.

"Goldstein?"

Tina started with a jolt. She had been so absorbed in what she was doing that she didn't notice her fellow Auror, Andrew Foxton, outside. She stumbled to her feet and whirled around to face him.

"Foxton."

He studied her for a moment.

"I can come back if you're busy...?"

Tina realised why he was there.

"Oh, that won't be necessary. I've finished with the files."

He grinned at her then made his way around her desk to collect a stack of worn yellow folders he had been requesting to study after she'd finished with them. Andrew had only become an Auror a couple months ago, and was still finding his way around the job.

The dim light caught on his fiery red hair as he turned again, folders under his arm.

"Something on your mind, Goldstein?"

Tina put her quill back in the ink pot.

"How could you tell?"

Andrew grinned again, pine green eyes flashing with amusement.

"I know a daydreamer when I see one."

Tina rolled her eyes, and was about to shoo him away when she stopped mid-thought and internally smacked herself for thinking about Newt while she was at work.

The young Auror beamed again, reading her thoughts.

Andrew was one of the only Aurors that was a Legilimens. Normally, it was very helpful, but he had a bit of a bad habit of poking his nose (or mind) where it didn't belong.

"So... Who is it?"

She frowned.

"What."

"Who are you thinking about?"

Her cheeks heated slightly, and she felt red creeping up her neck.

"Just a friend," Tina replied flatly.

"It's that guy again, right? The tall British guy with the really messy hair. Saw you talking to him a while ago... he came to meet you and your sister just after you finished...?"

Tina blushed harder.

"Out, Foxton," she snapped, but failed to hide her smile, her mind reeling back to the day when Newt came to visit them after work.

Andrew winked, then high-tailed it out of the room before he got hexed by Tina, spiked red hair catching the light once again before he disappeared round the corner.

Tina sank back into her swivel chair and picked up her quill again, determined to get some work done.

An hour later she got up and decided that she needed a cup of coffee to continue.

Wanting to take a break from working, she sauntered down the hall, intending to make something without magic.

Tina poured hot water out of the kettle and reached for the jar of coffee sitting on a shelf. As she went to twist the lid off, Tina absently clamped her wand between her teeth and screwed open the lid.

It was only when she finished making the beverage that she realised she hadn't removed her wand. Smiling to herself, Tina then did so, surprised that Newt's habit was rubbing off on her.

No wonder he always carries his wand in his mouth... it really is the most convenient place at times.

Tina slid her wand back into her pocket and wandered down the corridor sipping her coffee, ready to get back to work.

She passed Andrew's office as she did, and peeked inside, just out of curiosity.

As he was still new, he shared an office with another Auror, Lesley Mina, who was currently away on a mission, according to what Tina last heard.

Meanwhile, the young Auror had used the spare desk to his full advantage, and, not unlike Tina, had strewn papers, notes and files across the whole room. A trash can in the corner was filled halfway with empty coffee cups and crumpled up bits of paper, and there were several ink splotches on the cream carpet, accompanied by coffee stains.

Andrew's spiked red hair was visible over a shelf, and his bright green eyes peeped over the top when he heard Tina stop just outside. She couldn't see the rest of his face, but Tina could tell that he slowly smiled after reading her thoughts about adopting Newt's habit a couple minutes earlier.

His eyes crinkled at the corners, alive and bright with mischief.

Tina flashed him something somewhere in between a glare and a grin before internally cursing all the Legilimens' in her life and heading back to her own office.

I wanted to have a chapter with Tina at work.

Okayy so obviously Andrew is a character I made and I love him sm lol (but not as much as Newt ;) hehe) and he might appear in a couple later chapters. Fun fact: his last name was something I stole from a random kid at my school... i'm weird. Now I sound like a stalker.

It's called Imperio because Tina wishes she could put Andrew under an Imperius curse? i.e. get him to stop reading her mind. This chapter names thing is just a really hard job that I've set myself.

Today I was eating grapes and I had 6 so I named them all:

Leta

Theseus

Jacob

Queenie (I gave this one to my friend lol)

Tina

Newt

That's also the order I ate them in... except for Newt the grape because I wanted to keep him so he stayed in my pocket all day and I put him in a box when I got home... I sound like a mutated version of Luna Lovegood... you can unfollow me if you want.

Now there's a box in my room that has "Newt the Grape" written on it and there's a grape inside.

im dying lol