Chapter 18 - Not a Hero

The difficult part is, it appears unnoticed, when you least expect it. It hurts your heart, and wide opens all those angry scars engraved on your heart. The pain never subsides; it just changes into a continuous warning buzz, nagging at the back of your mind. When you finally accept its arrival, the thought of rejection engulfs you. It makes you fear the attention you're receiving.

To quote the situation with author Lang Leav, "Your first love isn't the first person you give your heart to, it's the first one who breaks it."

And Priyasha was certain that exactly would happen.

Moments of awkwardness stretched between them as warmth rose to her face. Finally, when it was impossible for her to stare anymore at his face, Abhiraj cleared his throat. "We should get going."

"Yes." Priyasha exhaled in relief.

They moved toward Gate 2, where he had the Himalayan parked.

"But how do we go? Should I book an Uber?"

"That'd prolong the travel time unnecessarily. I have another plan," Abhiraj murmured walking ahead.

On hearing that, she became confused. "How am I going to travel then?"

As they moved through the people-less place, Abhiraj spoke up, "Did I say, you're not going alone?"

"I kind of figured that out." Her words dripped with sarcasm as she rolled her eyes. For you being my kidnapper and/or safeguarding me, how could you even leave me alone?

As they neared the Himalayan, he declared, gesturing at the motorcycle, "We go by that."

She flinched upon hearing that, as she glanced at the vehicle then back at him in horror, while he went forward and climbed onto the Himalayan.

"Are you joking?"

"Did I sound so?" He asked calmly. "Considering, this is a sensitive situation and you have an urgency, I think this would do."

She eyed his facial expression carefully; he certainly wasn't playing a hoax. He was still calm and composed, being dead-serious. "But I'm not feeling very confident about this arrangement. This is too dangerous and risky."

"Trust me, there's nothing to get panicked about."

"But you're hurt."

"Just scratches. Nothing serious."

"But..."

"Are you going to argue with me for the rest of the night? Then, I'm positive, you can easily avail the next bus," he interrupted her in amusement. "However, as far as your worry is concerned, I can assure you safety as long as I'm with you." She stared into his eyes as they held each other's gaze for a fraction of a second. She always knew, those eyes would lead her to trouble someday. She sighed, tearing away her gaze as she reached behind him and climbed on. "This is a bad idea."

He let out a small silent chuckle and kick started the bike. "Rely on me this time."

Priyasha wasn't sure why he chose those exact words that moment, but it made her relax and a sense of rightness settled in her chest.

Abhiraj navigated the Himalayan through the night streets, making turns each now and then. Once they reached the highway, he became more cautious about the ride. Sometimes overtaking other vehicles, sometimes letting the whizzing by heavy load trucks pass on. She had her palms resting on his shoulders, and at times when she looked sideways, she noticed the sudden change of the wide fields and infrequent trails of trees into some dense forests. It made her panic obviously. She didn't even know why she agreed.