Chapter 21 - No Privacy

In the following week, since Abhiraj went back to Kolkata, the most awaited call from him never came. Instead, she had to both call and email Vikram to seek for a week's leave. Vikram unexpectedly approved that with no demand of explanation. The reason both could be him being generous suddenly or it was because of her rest of the owed holidays. Even Vikram assured her if she needed another few days off for Kaushik's health issues, she could easily avail that. However, that would require a few more formalities.

For Priyasha, the week rolled by either her giving visits to the hospital or engaging herself with Vinita in her wedding planning. Neither of which could take her mind away from Abhiraj or his obligations toward Permabell and whatever else that he was hiding. At times, her heart would ache disapprovingly because she desperately wanted to hear his voice. But it'd quiver the next moment, fearing the worst scenario. Once, she even had this strange assumption of him getting engaged to Zinnia. Maybe that was the reason he wasn't any more interested in knowing her whereabouts. It was quite a difficult task for her to let it be... without getting irritated. She practically had to force the thought away.

Vijay was terrific in keeping his observation on her. When he was around, Priyasha could actually not tell that he was following her everywhere and all the time. So, there was no possibility on earth that anyone else could. Priyasha in the beginning wanted him to introduce to Vikash and the rest of her family. But because, one, she was out of a good justification about Vijay's association with her and two, it never appeared a good timing to do so. So, Vijay insisted, it'd be better if he stayed undercover. Things would go smoother that way. Priyasha unwillingly agreed with him on that.

Neha and Sonya in the meantime called her and compassionately gave condolences which she somewhat needed and thanked them dearly for that.

29th July

"Vijay, you never told me why did you even engage yourself in all this in the first place?" Priyasha asked emptying the sugar packet in her tea-cup.

They were sitting inside the hospital cafeteria. Since the beginning, both of them never had any opportunity to sit and talk together as she had been always busy either with her family or friend and Vijay decided to watch her from a distance. Now that Vikash needed to go to Burdwan for his work and couldn't accompany her to hospital, Priyasha invited Vijay to come and sit with her while she was waiting for the appointment with doctor regarding Kaushik's discharge. Kaushik was much better now. Recovering from the after-surgery complications. Doctors had consulted to start the EBRT few days later considering Kaushik's age.

"I was furious with Abhiraj concerning your condition." She frowned remembering the scene from the police station.

Vijay leaned back in his chair; the corner of his lips tilted upwards. "Why? But, thank you for getting worried about my condition."

Priyasha cocked an eyebrow toward him and shot him an annoyed look, warning him. "Vijay!"

Vijay shook his head admiring her peppery tone, then cleared his throat and said, "Roy never forced me into anything. I volunteered. It was solely my decision from the beginning."

Priyasha stared at the person sitting opposite to her. The cup in her hand stopped mid-air from meeting her lips. Who the hell wants to get hurt intentionally? And why would someone want to get hurt in the first place?

"You went to lock up intentionally?" Priyasha furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and questioned, "But why?"

Vijay's eyes went soft as they settled on Priyasha's face. "Ms. Chatterjee..."

"My name is Priyasha, please."

He smiled. "Priyasha it is then." He moved forward and rested his elbows on the table, "The foremost and basically the only reason is avenging my father's death. Is the reason enough?"