Chapter 23 - Bestie to the Rescue

31st July

"Don't you think this is too much?" Priyasha stared at her reflection in the mirror for a few seconds then blurted out, finding her outfit and makeup way too showy.

"Too much?" Maya fake gasped then said, "Where? Let me see."

Maya had given her a turquoise-colored crepe georgette saree, with its entire length of border embroidered with net zari, and matching boat-neck cut blouse. She had borrowed Upasana's glittery golden pumps and completed the makeup with the earrings Abhiraj had given her.

Last night after returning to her room, when her eyes fell on the earring box, still resting on top of her bed, she couldn't help but to try it out. Although she shouldn't have, she couldn't hold the grudge anymore. First time in her life, she was being unreasonably tolerant toward someone, and she didn't know why.

She had awkwardly blushed wearing the earrings.

Before she'd been furious with the same pair of earrings and now, she was wearing it. She couldn't tell what changed in those past couple of minutes, but she wasn't furious anymore.

She scolded herself for her apparent hormonal dis-balance, then shook the thought away. The earrings pair was beautiful and secretly, she had found similarities between them and their buyer in the matter of their uniqueness.

"No, it's fine. You look gorgeous." Maya grinned, then handed her the plum-colored lipstick. "If you don't believe me, ask your father."

Priyasha rolled her eyes applying the lipstick then went to Kaushik's room. He was lying on the bed watching a TV program.

"Papa, how do I look?"

Kaushik squinted his eyes at her for a second, then his eyes twinkled. He grinned just like Maya who had followed Priyasha in his room.

"You are looking just like my daughter. Marvelous." Kaushik exclaimed, exhilarated.

Priyasha glanced delightfully at Maya, giggling. "Thank you, Papa."

Which was when, the bell rang. Priyasha noticed her watch. 6:10 pm.

"Ah, must be Abhiraj," Maya exclaimed, marching toward the door. Priyasha rolled her eyes then went to her room to take her backpack, then joined Maya at the door.

When her eyes fell on Abhiraj, she halted for a moment. He was standing there wearing a navy-blue two-piece suit, with a white shirt and brown shoes.

Priyasha took a step forward. When his eyes fell on her, they immediately went wide in astonishment. Her cheeks flushed. She went ahead and stood beside Maya.

"Okay, Maa."

"Okay, Chini. I'll wait for your call."

She nodded then turned her attention at Abhiraj. He was still looking at her. His eyes flashed some fierce craving. She was sure he never took his eyes off her and she could definitely tell his gaze had made her cheeks take a shade of pink by then. She nervously blushed then went ahead. He had brought a car with him. It wasn't his old car for obvious reasons.

She put the bag in the back seat then settled down on the passenger seat comfortably. He too hopped inside the car, ignited the engine as she waved at Maya from inside the car.

Once the car took the turn toward the right, and she no longer could see her house, Abhiraj turned his focus on her and complimented, "You look beautiful."

Her blush deepened at that as she let out a shaky sigh, nervously grazing her hand on her perfectly styled hair. "Thank you," she said and immediately looked outside, interlinking her fingers with each other, earning an audible sigh from him at the same time.