Chapter 2

Airam's POV

     I put the dark blue shirt on over the grey tank top. I sigh happily, finally in some clothes. I grab Leon's jacket and put it back on, smiling at the safe feeling it gives me.

     I slip into the black boots and look at the untied laces. I rack my brain, trying to remember how to tie shoe laces, or if I ever had shoes. I shake my head, frustrated at the blankness. I move out from behind the blinds, watching my feet to make sure I don't trip.

     "Everything okay?"

     I look up at Leon, who's all suited up in a uniform. I look back down to my boots, feeling my face heat up from embarrassment. I fidget with the sleeves of the jacket.

     He seems to get what I'm trying to say because he walks over to me. He kneels down in front of me, taking the laces of one of the boots and tying them. He ties the other before looking up at me with a smile. "There you go."

     I give him a small smile in return. Thank you.

     He stands up and nods, rubbing the back of his neck. "N-No problem." He goes back to getting ready. He glances over at Marvin. "Does anyone know what started this?"

     Marvin looks at the little laptop. "Not a clue. But honestly, all you need to know is this place will eat you alive if you aren't careful."

     "Yeah... Well, I was suppose to start last week and I got a call to stay away. I wish I'd come here sooner."

     'I'm glad you didn't. I probably wouldn't have met you if you did.' I think to myself, before turning away slightly. I pull the watch out of my pocket. I look at the cover with a detailed sun engraved on it. I flip it over to see a crescent moon and a star engraved. Airam is engraved inside the moon.

     I jump when Marvin raises his voice. I look to see Leon standing beside the injured man. "I'm giving you an order, rookie! You save her and yourself first. I'd come with you but I'd only slow you down. Now... You'll need this." He stands up, holding a knife out to Leon.

     "I can't-" Leon starts.

     Marvin groans in frustration. He turns towards me, holding it out to me. "Take it, miss."

     I slowly step forward. I reach out and take it. He nods to me before looking Leon in the eye. "And don't make my mistake. If you see one of those things- uniform or not- you do not hesitate. You take it out... or you run. Got it?!"

     Leon nods. "Yes, sir."

     Marvin sits back down, holding his wound in pain. Leon looks at him before turning to me.

     I look at Leon and nod, gripping the knife tightly. I'm with you.

     He nods. We both walk towards the the west entrance. I use the knife to cut off the tape before Leon pulls the switch. The gate comes up completely and we enter the reception.

     "This is not how I imagined my first day..." He collects what items are in the room.

     I think back to when he told me his name. I stop him by tugging on his arm. I pull out the watch, flipping it to the moon side. I show it to him, tapping on the name.

     He looks at it before looking back at me confused. "Airam?" Realization crosses his face. "Oh! Is that your name?"

     I smile, nodding.

     He smiles, nodding back. "It's different. I like it. Nice to meet you Airam."

     I feel my cheeks heat up and I look away, putting the watch safely away. I follow Leon through the door and down the long ominous hallway. We hear a radio cutting in and out, saying something about a helicopter.

     Leon kneels beside a fallen officer. He grabs the front of the man's head, slowly pulling it up. His lower jaw slowly hangs down, ripped. "Oh. Oh what the fuck?"

     I quickly turn away, shutting my eyes tight. They flash open when something moves up ahead. I step back and Leon moves in front of me. After sharing a glance, we move further down the hall.

     I try the knob on a door only for it to be locked. Leon flashes the light on the green symbol on the door. "Looks like we need a special key. Come on."

     Leon walks on my left, keeping himself between me and the windows. A zombie falls in from an open window. Leon shoots it before it can get within biting range. The noise gets the attention of a zombie up ahead. I see a set of red doors at the same time as Leon.

     "Come on!" Leon grabs my hand and we run into the room, slamming the doors behind us.

     I quickly look around for another way out. I run to the door only to grab the chain keeping it shut. 'Damn it!'

     "Airam! This way!"

     I look to see Leon standing on a trunk or something. He looks over the window. I run over, only pausing to grab the large sheet of paper off of the board. I fold it up and shove it into a pocket. I take Leon's hand and he helps me up onto the trunk.

     The doors get banged on as the zombies try to get it. I watch as Leon climbs over, dropping down on the other side. "Come on, Airam."

     I take a deep breath before pulling myself up and over, trying to watch out for the broken glass. I drop down, landing on my feet.

     Leon instantly pulls me behind him when we notice the zombie at the vending machine. I watch curiously at it pays no mind to us, just repeatedly slamming into the machine.

     "Well, alright then." Leon shoots the zombie, it takes two head shots for its head to burst. Leon looks at the doors, scratching the back of his head "A map would make this a lot easier."

     I tug on his arm, getting his attention. I pull out the folded sheet of paper. I unfold it and show it to him with a proud smile.

     He chuckles, taking it from me. "Perfect. Where'd you find that?"

     I point to the room that we escaped from.

     He nods, smiling at me, putting it away. "Good job Airam. This will help alot." He nods to the a door with 'West Office' on the window. "Let's check there first."

     I follow him into the large office. We split up, taking each side. I glance around, picking up anything that looks useful. I make it to the other side, and walk up the door. I grimace looking at the blood on the floor as if someone was dragged.

     I notice the door has a symbol on the foor, though it's a different one from the other door. I turn back around and look at what's hanging from the ceiling. There's little decorations and a banner with 'Welcome Leon' on it.

     'They had a welcoming party ready for him...' I look over at Leon, who walks out of the little office.

     He walks towards me only to cry out as a zombie grabs him. I run over when I see him struggle. I jab the knife into it's head, getting it to let go of Leon.

     I quickly move out of the way for Leon to shoot it. It takes only one shot for it to drop. Leon pulls the knife, handing it back to me with a grateful smile. "Thanks Airam."

     I nod with a smile. Leon looks up at the banner, a sad look crosses his face. "Best welcoming party ever..."

     I grab his hand and lean against his arm, hoping to comfort him, even just a little bit. He squeezes my hand, and I feel him rest his cheek against my head. "Thank you Airam."