Chapter 9

Airam's POV

      Leon keeps me hidden behind him as he opens the door. He notions for me to stay there. He moves forward, raising his gun.

     "Identify yourself."

     Ada pushes past me, raising her gun as well. "Annette Birkin."

     I look past them, at the woman kneeling by a body. My eyes widen, taking in her appearance. 'It's the same woman from the picture!'

     "She's who we're looking for?"

     The woman pushes herself up. "Not much time... Need to dispose of it."

     "Airam!" Leon reaches for me as I slip past him and Ada. The woman looks at me, taking a step back, reaching for something behind her back.

     I hold my hand up. I quickly pull out the photo and show it to her. She looks at it and takes it. "Kathryn..." She looks back at me, a look of hope and recognition in her eyes. "Airam?"

     I smile and nod. The corner of her lips curl up to form a half smile. She holds out her hand. I take it, happy to have finally found her.

     "We're here for the G-Virus!" I hear Ada take a step towards us.

     Annette looks past me before pulling me to her. She moves me so I'm behind her. She scoffs. "That's not gonna happen."

     I look at Leon, who lowers his gun and watches me with worry and confusion. I look at Annette before back at Leon. I shake my head, confused as well. Leon. I don't know what's go-

     "I'm warning you, doctor."

     "Oh yeah?" Annette tosses something on the body, setting it aflame. "Airam go!" She throws her arm around me and takes me with her as she runs.

     "Airam!" I hear Leon call out before Ada.

     "STOP!"

     Annette pushes me ahead through a pathway. I end up falling, hitting my knees hard. I flinch hearing gunfire behind me.

     "Ada!"

     I try to look at Leon when he calls out but my view is blocked. Annette grabs my arm, pulling through as the door starts shutting. She pulls me to my feet. I automatically grab onto her as I hear bullets hitting the door.

     "You'll never get the G-Virus!" She calls out before the door fully shuts. She pulls me with her as she runs.

     'Leon!' I plant my feet on the ground, halting us.

     She quickly looks at me. "What are you doing? We have to move!"

     I look back at the door before looking at her. I need answers! What's going on?!

     She sighs. "I'll tell you everything you want to know. But we need to go Airam. We can't stay here."

     And the truth? About everything? I look at her.

     She nods. "Yes. The truth about everything."

     I look back at the door before nodding.

     She smiles slightly and pulls me along as we quickly move. "Good. Come on dear."

     I glance back at the closed door before we turn a corner. 'I'm gonna find out the truth, Leon. I promise.'