Chapter 13

Leon's POV

"No!" I quickly grab Airam before she can fall off the edge. I hold her close to me as everything shakes more. I turn to Ada with a look of rage and hate.

Ada lowers her gun, shaking her head. "I did what I had to, Leon."

"What the hell does that mean?!" I yell at her, rage taking over.

Before Ada can say anything, she's shot in the right shoulder. I look behind us to see Annette leaning against the wall with a smoking gun.

Everything shakes even more. More of the bridge breaks, sending me to the ground and Ada and Airam over the edge. I hold Airam's hand tight to keep her from falling completely into the darkness.

I look at Ada as she barely hangs on. She looks at me then at Airam. She gives me a soft, genuine look. "Take care of her and yourself Leon."

That's all she says before letting go. I watch as Ada disappears into the darkness.

"Ada!" Even though she lied, used me and hurt Airam, she was still a survivor in this mess. And her death hurts.

I quickly turn my attention to Airam. "I've got ya sweetheart." I pull her up, groaning a little from keeping us both up. I quickly move us onto the platform just as the bridge completely collapses.

I look down at her in my arms. She looks up at me with tired and pained eyes. "Leon..."

"It's okay Airam. We're getting out of here. So hang on." I make sure she keeps a hand on her wound before quickly scooping her up in my arms.

I quickly get us in the elevator and doors close behind us. The elevator begins a slow descent. I ignore my screaming shoulder and muscles, and hold Airam close, not wanting to let her go.

I place a long kiss on the top of her head. "Stay with me Airam. You're gonna be okay."

I ignore the automatic voice on the speakers and listen to Airam's breathing.

I look at the flaming reactors and falling debris on the outside of the elevator. I look down at Airam when she starts singing quietly.

"Hey Jude.. Don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better.. Remember to let her into your heart.. Then you can start to make it better.."

"You know the Beatles?" I ask her, surprised that she knows some music.

"I remember... My mom singing it to me... It made me feel safe..."

"My mom likes the Beatles too. She always sings their songs whenever she makes dinner."

Airam tilts her head back a little to look at me. "I... would like to meet your mom..."

My heart skips at her words. I press a long kiss to her forehead. "I'd like you to meet her too. When we get out of here, I'll take you to meet her. Okay?"

She smiles softly. "Promise?"

I smile back and nod. "Promise."

The elevator stops and the doors open. I exit the elevator as the automatic voice speaks.

Nine minutes until detonation.

I adjust my grip on Airam and start moving. I stop when one of the screens show someone. "Who's that?"

I set Airam down and make sure her hand is on her wound. She just smiles at me which I return. I quickly stand up and walk over to one of the computers and start pressing buttons.