Chapter 8

Airam's POV

     We follow Ada as she explains. "They're a pharmaceutical company secretly making bioweapons. They have a virus- it turns people into indestructible monsters."

     Leon shakes his head. "That explains the horrible things we've seen..."

     "And that's why I'm looking for Annette Birkin- She's the one at Umbrella responsible for unleashing the virus. I'm going to bring her down."

     I pause when she says Annette. 'Annette Birkin? Is this Annette the one I'm looking for? The woman did say she was with Umbrella but... Could she really be behind this mess?'

     Leon's voice brings me out of my thoughts. "Airam? You okay?"

     I look at him and just nod. I continue to follow them. Ada jumps down first and continues to head towards a large entrance. I watch as Leon jumps down next and he looks up at me.

     He holds out his arms. "Jump. I'll catch you."

     I slowly nod before jumping. I land in his arms and give him a small smile. Thanks.

     He nods, giving me a smile of his own. He sets me down and leads the way.

     "This is how we get to Annette." She stops in front of the entrance.

     Leon shines his flashlight down the dark hole. "Based on what you've said, the sewer seems fitting."

     She stands aside. "Well said. After you..."

     "Gee, thanks." Leon goes through first and I follow behind. "Airam, stay close to me."

     I nod, grabbing the back of his vest as we make our way through.

     "Can't imagine a real scientist being down here..." Leon says, looking around.

     "According to HQ... this leads right into Umbrella's secret facility." Ada speaks up from behind us.

     Leon glances over his shoulder at Ada. "Come on. Sewers are run by the city." He looks forward again. "How could they have a facility... without the authorities knowing?"

     "Welcome to corporate America. Umbrella's controlled Raccoon City for years." Ada states.

     I keep my eyes on the ground, making sure I don't trip on anything. I latch onto Leon when everything shakes violently.

     "Jesus Christ! That an earthquake?!" He looks over his shoulder, silently asking if I'm okay. I nod.

     "I sure as hell hope so." Ada adds.

     We make a turn with a light at the end behind bars. I hold Leon's arm when a loud roar is heard and something big moves on the other side, disappearing.

     "What the hell?!" Leon exclaims.

     "Stay sharp! God only knows what's down here..." Ada calls out over the noise.

     I keep my grip on Leon's arm as we continue on, going through a metal door. We head farther down the large pathway. We make it to a set of stairs and head down. Everything shakes again as we continue.

     "Again?!" Leon sets his hand over mine.

     "It's not too late to turn back, Leon."

     He looks at me and I shake my head. He smiles at me before glancing back at Ada. "No chance. You're stuck with us til the end."

     We make it to a point where we have to jump down. Leon jumps down first, landing with a splash. He looks up at us. "Ugh. You sure this is the right way?"

     Ada kneels down. "Unfortunately."

     We hear a loud noise, similar to before. Leon looks up at us. "Wait there."

     I watch in worry and fear of what's causing that rumbling. My eyes widen when a large monster appears, roaring and ramming into the sides.

     "Jesus Christ!" Leon stumbles back.

     "Leon! Get out of there!" Ada calls out.

     Leon starts running from it as it follows behind. I start running after them from above. Ada grabs my arm, holding on.

     I quickly turn to face her. I watch her with narrowed eyes as the bad feeling returns. 'Who exactly is this Ada?'

     She nods with her head to another path. "This way." She doesn't wait for me as she begins walking away. "And if you look at me like that again. You might lose your eyes."

     I clench my fists, angry at the woman for unknown reasons. Hearing Leon yell out is the only reason that I follow her. There's a loud explosion before we get to the end. I look over the edge at Leon, who stares at the mess of the monster.

     "Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch."

     I smile, hearing his words and see that he's okay. I hear Ada move behind me. I watch her drop the ladder.

     "Leon. Up here."

     "What the hell was th-"

     "Just get up here!" Ada snaps with attitude. I glare at her back as she begins to walk away. I look at Leon and hug him when he gets up here.

     He hugs me back. "Don't worry, Airam. I'm okay." He pulls away and takes my hand with a smile. I give a small one back before we follow Ada.

     "Can't say I didn't warn you..."

     "You said the virus turns people into monsters, not reptiles." Leon quickly replies.

     "Fair point. I'm just impressed you made it in one piece." She doesn't bother to look back.

     The more she speaks, the more I'm filled with anger.

     Leon stops us, and squeezes my hand. "Airam, you okay? You're shaking."

     I look up at him. I think for a second, trying to decide to tell him about my bad feeling. I don't get a chance to decide as Ada calls out.

     "We don't have all night to stand around and chat." She stands with her arms crossed.

     Leon looks from Ada to me. I just nod, before pulling my hand from his. I wrap my arms around myself, keeping my gaze on the ground. I glance up at him for a second. Let's go.

     I see Leon reach out for me before pulling his hand back. "Right."

     I feel my heart hurt, at the action and tone of his voice. I follow close behind him as we move towards Ada. We enter the elevator and I tuck myself into the corner, my back to them. I can feel Leon's eyes on me before his hand rests on my back. The action comforts me, especially when I flinch as we start moving.

     "So let me get this straight, Umbrella sells monsters like that to who? Our military? Somebody else's?"

     "They don't sell the monsters, they sell the viruses that make them. And Annette is the one who makes the viruses. Scary as that alligator was... Annette is far more dangerous."

     'I feel like that's a lie.' I think to myself. We stop moving and I feel Leon gently take my arm. I turn towards him, staying close to him as we exit the elevator first. I see Ada frown for a split second before her face goes back to neutral.

     I look up at Leon, who's watching me. I grab his hand, squeezing it. I give him a small smile. I'm okay.

     A smile quickly forms on his lips and he nods. "Good.... That's good." The last part sounded more like it was to reassure himself.

     I glance back at Ada, who still stands in the elevator. I look forward again. 'I don't know who you really are but I intend to find out.'