four

when your ship's taking on water, you don't jump, you grab a bucket 

-

3rd person POV

Detective Kim Namjoon was angry. Furious even. He hated this. He hated the powerlessness that he felt against the orders of the superiors that were trying to make him do the wrong thing. It was as if his own coworkers were standing on the other side of a door that he was trying to open, pulling it in the opposite direction as him and forcing it to stay closed. This wasn't what he signed up for when he decided to become a policeman.

His cigarette break was over too soon and he cringed at the thought of leaving the dark alley behind Gangnam police station. He would've preferred to stay in the company of the piles of trash that were waiting to get taken away and two Chinese cleaning ladies that were smoking and drinking their morning coffee, but he knew that he had to get back inside. He politely nodded at them and slightly tilted his head as he passed them and made his way in the building again. His features twisted in to a cringe at the sight of the faces that the cleaning ladies pulled in response to his greeting. 

Perhaps they were secretly gossiping about him all along. 

That was a possibility, but the thought of staying in that smelly alley and lighting up another cigarette still seemed a lot more pleasant to him. He made a mental note to ask a Chinese detective from the violent crimes department about some insults that he heard the cleaning ladies use. He was about to make his way towards his desk, but he got sidetracked by another policeman, who sent him to talk with Choi Jaeha, the leader of his current main operation. Hearing that put him in an even worse mood than before and he found himself pulling a similar disgusted face as the two cleaning ladies that he met in the back alley of the station. 

Were they really talking shit about him?

The audacity. He always gave them cigarettes when they ran out of their own.