twelve

the world is rarely a fair place, that's why it needs people like me

-

Strong women need no one but themselves to rule, except maybe a knight in a shining armor that was always prepared to stand by their side and watch their back. Just in case something would happen to go terribly wrong. These days, that seemed a very likely possibility and I was trying to learn how to be strong on my own, but at the same time allow myself to lean on Baekhyun's shoulder and trust him when I needed to. He had his own way of being there, which sometimes involved secrets and lies, but I couldn't deny that he stood by my side ever since everything started to go wrong and spiral out of control.

'' Fuck yeah! '' I screamed and laughed as gunshots echoed through the jungle. Bottles of champagne were exploding one after another and golden liquid was dripping from the fancy marble table. The luxurious yacht was an almost fascinating contrast to the green trees of the jungle that was stretching all around it, together with it's mysterious poisonous plants, monkey screeches and crocodile-infested waters. Narrow and barely trackable paths, at least for anyone who wasn't from this area, were leading through the thick vegetation and if you were able to follow them, you reached small drug labs, hidden in the wilderness of Vietnam.

Baekhyun was leaning against the railing of the yacht and smoking a cigarette. He was watching me have fun shooting bottles of champagne, there was a faint smile on his lips and his eyes were shining in amusement. He was in a good mood that morning. That was surprising. Lately, he was always in a bad mood and he was frowning so much that I almost forgot what it was like to see him smile. '' Every day, you stray further and further away from the proper lady that you used to be and I'm not sure if I like it or not. ''

'' Keep making fun of me while you still can, because after I learn how to shoot properly, you won't dare to do that anymore, '' I replied and smirked.

'' You almost shot yourself in the foot earlier, so I think that unless a miracle happens, I'll be just fine, '' Baekhyun shot back and ran through his dark hair with his hand. Bandages were still wrapped around the leg that he wounded when he was trying to save me from Shangri-La, but his gaze was filled with newfound fire.

Kai appeared from the inside of the luxury boat and raised a beer bottle to his lips. He was wearing another one of his favourite Hawaiian shirts, unbuttoned in the front and revealing his tanned skin and muscular chest. Under the strong sunlight of that jungle, he glowed. I knew that if I would happen to end up on his list of assassination targets, there was no way that I would be able to resist him. 

He grinned, gestured at Baekhyun and told me: '' Sometimes I wonder how we manage to survive next to such a gloomy individual. ''

I raised the gun once again, but I was quickly stopped by Baekhyun, who stepped behind me and corrected my stance, because he saw me turn the weapon to the side and close one of my eyes. He didn't mind if I was having a little fun while training, but he still wanted me to learn things properly. I felt his warm hands on the bare skin on my shoulders and my arms and I cursed Wong Yukhei for convincing me that a dangerously cropped tanktop and even smaller shorts were the only appropriate attire to wear in the jungle. The owner of that luxury yacht and leader of the hidden drug labs, was completely different from how I expected him to be. Baekhyun warned us that he was a little wild and peculiar, but I wasn't prepared for the welcome that we got when we arrived here the previous day.