seven

the heart will kill faster than a bullet

-

I was born from lies, deception and the type of hatred that only a woman could hold for the man that she once loved. I was her way to get revenge against the one who hurt her. Put on this world not to be a daughter, but a weapon. Thanks to my existence, she could stay alive.

Sometimes I wondered why my father left her. He never told me much more about her besides her first name, birthday and some things that she liked. He said that it wasn't important, that she was a part of the past that we should both forget about forever. I wanted to believe him, but every now and then when I looked in to his eyes, I couldn't miss the resentment and betrayal that I saw. He looked at me and he saw her and it hurt him. On some nights, after a few drinks, it hurt him so much that he couldn't stop himself from taking his pain and anger and making sure that I felt them too. 

When I was still young, it happened quite often, but things changed once Jung Jaehyun came along and stopped him before he could do anything to me. He was like the older brother that I never had and a big part of the reason why I was able to start fighting back. If it wasn't for him, things would've probably stayed the same. My father would keep drinking, he would keep taking his anger out on me and perhaps one day it would reach the point when I would die in my mother's place. 

I wonder where Jung Jaehyun is right now?

My eyes snapped open at the sound of screaming and footsteps, slowly nearing my room. I stared at the grey ceiling above me and my gaze wandered left and right. A part of me still couldn't help it but to hope that after falling asleep, I would wake up somewhere else and this would all turn out to be a cruel nightmare, but sure enough, I was still there. In the same cold room, with a bed that had no sheets, walls covered in mold and a tiny window with prison bars, somewhere high above a street that was always loud and full of people. 

My heart accelerated once I saw the doorknob moving down. I unknowingly crawled to the end of the bed and pushed my back against the wall, as if that could protect me. I spent the past three days in that unknown room and they were all the same, full of visits from people who were asking me questions that I didn't know the answers to. They thought that my father shared his secrets with me and that I could be any se when it came to things like that, but they had no idea what the truth was. I made sure to keep up with his work in the politics and stay well informed about what his party was doing, but that was where it ended. I wasn't allowed to venture much further beyond and I wasn't particularly interested in it either.