thirteen

you may not like me. you may not understand how or why I do what I do, but I'm here because you want answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet 

 you may not understand how or why I do what I do, but I'm here because you want answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet 

-

The last remains of light were slowly fading away as the sun sunk behind the clouds that were gathering on the horizon and disappeared. It was in the middle of that short period of time between day and night, when it wasn't too dark yet and the skyscrapers were enveloped in faded shades of dark blue and gray. The streets were unnaturally quiet, so I heard the sound of the helicopter from a mile away and cowered in the shadows just before it flew above me. There were three of them circling over the rooftops and giving the population of Seoul a false sense of safety. As if the police could actually spot danger from those helicopters and warn everyone about it.

'' I can't believe how much Seoul has changed, '' I said and glanced at Yixing. He was standing by my side and enjoying the peaceful silence that the rooftop offered. We were all feeling on edge ever since we returned to the town that Baekhyun and I once escaped from. The worst thing of all was that we were all crammed in some tiny apartment that Kai once bought. Him and Sehun were the only ones who had yet to appear on the police's wanted list, so they could still leave and go outside, but Baekhyun, Yixing and I were all stuck inside. Wr couldn't risk going out and getting recognised by somebody. '' I'm realising only now how long it's been since I left and how many things changed. How I changed. ''

'' It's been a while since the last time that I was here too, '' Yixing murmured and closed his eyes. His arms were crossed on his chest and a faint breeze was toying with his dark hair. '' I remember my last job here. I had to kill someone important, a chief of some police station. Things went wrong and I had to escape out of the country and go to China instead. Back then, there were a lot of police cars driving around and helicopters flying on the sky too, but it feels different now. There's a certain tension in the air and it's all because of the bombs. People are scared, because they don't know where it will explode next. It's obvious that now it isn't just a matter of 'if' a bomb will explode... It's 'when'. The whole situation makes it almost too easy for Ryu Minjae to rise to power. ''

I walked to the edge of the rooftop, leaned against the railing and gazed towards the street. At that time, Yixing, Baekhyun and I, were waiting for Kai and Sehun to come back. The two of them went outside to try to locate Kyungsoo, who was our best hope at finding out what was happening at the moment and what we coulod do as our next move. Just a couple of days ago, when we first returned to Seoul, a bomb exploded on a rooftop not too far away from the one of the building that we were hiding in and we were hoping that the computer genius managed to find some lead to the group of extremists that were responsible for these attacks.

'' You know, I thought about everything that you told me when we were still in China... How I should take responsibility for the bad things that I caused and make it all worth something... I'm going to try my best to do that, '' I seriously said, leaned against the railing that was going around the rooftop and crossed my arms on my chest. The last bits of light disappeared and our figures got swallowed by darkness. The night hid the fear and uncertainty that was shining in our eyes, the fresh wounds and scars that we carried on our skin and the tiredness within our hearts.