Chapter 5: How You Met Me

It was no big deal, Fa Zhen thought.

Mortals and Immortals practiced polygamy every now and then. Except it was a big deal. The Mermaid Tribe did not follow such a tradition of having multiple spouses. Most Mermaid Immortals remained single their whole lives. Mermaid Immortals did marry but would leave and become members of the new tribe.

Sighing loudly on Xiao Dan's bed, Fa Zhen wondered if she was going to be able to live a life happily with the First Prince. As Yi Chen, she didn't have a chance and now as Xiao Dan, it was excruciating.

Two years ago, Fa Zhen, who was then Yi Chen, met Prince Yun under the moonlight overlooking a river of lighted lanterns. A pale cloth covered half of her face, leaving her identity to be hidden. As she and the First Prince talked to each other just briefly that night, Yi Chen had fallen for his warm smile and glistening eyes.

How that night unfolded:

"Greetings, young lady. You two must be out having fun?" Two scoundrels approached Xiao Dan and Yi Chen on a quiet path. After walking around eating candy while watching the lanterns, the two were on their way home.

Yi Chen grabbed Xiao Dan's shoulders and moved them away from the intimidating men. One of them, quickly rushed to block their path.

"Excuse me, sir. We are trying to get pass." Yi Chen stepped in front of Xiao Dan to confront the man.

"You can get out of here. We want to talk to her." He pushed her by the head. Yi Chen lost her balance and almost ran into the ground.

"What are you doing?!" Xiao Dan yelled at them. She clung onto Yi Chen's arm to help her gain balance.

"You. Come with us and no one has to get hurt." They pointed at Xiao Dan.

"Do you know who you're talking to?! This is General Sha--"

"I told you to get lost!" He threw a punch toward Yi Chen's face, yet she was able to dodge the attack. Just then the other man came from behind and pushed her to the ground. Before leaving with Xiao Dan, they continously kicked Yi Chen while she lied on the ground, so she would be too wounded to catch up to them.

"Yi Chen! Yi Chen!" Xiao Dan screamed for Yi Chen to come save her.

"Xiao Dan... ugh," Yi Chen muttered through her raspy breaths. Just moments after being kicked like some useless thing, Yi Chen stood up, limping toward the direction they took Xiao Dan.

Walking through the crowded street full of people going about with the joy of the festival, Yi Chen tried to make out Xiao Dan's voice. She saw the men carrying Xiao Dan through the back of a building decorated with beautiful lanterns and cloths curtains hanging in the doorway. The sign on the entrance read: Whimsical Flower Pavilion. It was a brothel! They had taken Xiao Dan to the most popular and sophisticated brothel in capital city!

Ugh! I'm gonna kill them!

Forgetting about her aching pain, Yi Chen tip toed to the back of the building. She almost ran head to head with the captors but ducked behind a wall to listen to their conversation.

"You left her in the cellar?"

"Yeah, I tied her up."

"We have to sell her faraway from here, so people won't come looking for her."

"Hahaha! It's so much easier to grab girls during chaotic crowds like this. No one suspects a thing!"

"How much do you think we're gonna get for her?"

"She's quite the beauty. I'd say 500 silvers?"

"It'd be more if she's a virgin."

"Right?" They both burst into laughter as Yi Chen watched on. Fury boiling inside of her and with clenched fists, she vowed to have those two women kidnapping, slave trader scum be killed. But first she had to find Xiao Dan. As soon as they left the area, Yi Chen scurried inside to the cellar.

Xiao Dan sat quietly in tears with her arms bound behind her back. Her left foot was chained to to a wooden pole.

"Young Lady, are you all right?" Yi Chen scrambled to untie her hands.

"Yi Chen! I was so scared!"

"Shhh," Yi Chen tried to coax her, "They might hear us. Did they do anything to you?"

Xiao Dan shook her head, "No, but they tied me up and said they were going to sell me far away. I don't want to, Yi Chen!" She started to sob even harder letting out loud gasps of air.

"Shhh! I won't let them. I'll get you out of here."

"Then how are you going to get rid of this?"

Yi Chen took a look at the metal chain clasped around Xiao Dan's left ankle. Around the room, she looked for something to break off the chain.

"Did they use a key?" Yi Chen asked.

"Yeah," Xiao Dan sniffled.

Immediately, Yi Chen pulled out a hair pin from Xiao Dan's hair.

"Ow! What are you doing?"

"I'm going to use this to open the lock."

"Where did you learn to do that?"

"Young Lady, you tend to forget that I was a child thief living on the streets before General Shao brought me in to serve you."

After a quick minute of moving the hairpin around, there was a soft sound. The lock had been picked successfully.

"There we go!" Yi Chen said.

"Thank goodness."

"Wait!"

"What! What is it?"

"We have to switch clothes."