Chapter 25: Spending The Night

"Crown Prince enters!" A eunuch announced from outside Lai Xue residence.

Hearing that Zhang Yun had came to visit her, Fa Zhen removed herself from her bath and quickly threw on a cream colored robe. Her skin sticking to the silky texture of the cloth, hair dripping water down her back. Xiao Tong was awaiting in Fa Zhen's chambers outside the bathing room. She bowed to the Crown Prince as he entered.

Fa Zhen quickly rushed out to see him without properly tying her robe, and her collar bone was revealed. Zhang Yun stopped in his tracts and took one look at Fa Zhen's exposing body before averting his eyes somewhere else.

Tch. She's already trying to seduce me as soon as I came through the door!

"Leave us," Zhang Yun ordered Xiao Tong to leave.

Now it was just the two of them. Fa Zhen took a couple of steps toward Zhang Yun. Her heart beating fast, excited to see him but also scared of losing him. Zhang Yun avoided her by walking to the other side of the room.

With his back to her, he said, "Why aren't you properly dressed to greet me?"

Fa Zhen finally saw that she had not covered her body well and immediately pulled the robe together.

"Zhang Yun, I'm not mad about Crown Princess' pregnancy anymore. Can you please tell me why you've been so cold? Actually, I am still a little mad... But I will listen if you are willing to explain. Also I wasn't trying to harm you at Qing Tian cliff. It was an accident... I lost my footing on the edge and you jumped after me, and you hit your head, so-- "

"I don't have to explain anything to you." Zhang Yun didn't even turn to face her.

"But I don't understand. We were lovers before this incident and now you hate me."

"I'm the Crown Prince. I have a Crown Princess. It's normal for us to have children together. How dare you, a mere concubine, say to me that you're upset about this? Your life is not going to be easy in my harem, so I suggest you lay low and keep away from me."

Fa Zhen's plea for understanding dissipated with an emerging storm of fury brewing within.

"Then why are you here?! Why aren't you at Yu Ruo's place? Why aren't you taking in a new shipload of worthy harem concubines?! Zhang Yun, you are the worst!"

Turning around, Zhang Yun was shocked at her lecturing and said, "You-- you dare raise your voice at me?"

"I'm mad. You won't talk to me, you don't trust me, and I don't understand anything. I try to set things right by visiting Shao gege, but you wouldn't even let me do that. Just what do you want me to do?"

The intimidating Zhang Yun made his way to Fa Zhen, his breath still and eyes unkind. As though disgusted, Zhang Yun leaned into her face just inches away, not coming into contact.

"I just want you to live quietly and not disrupt me until that brother of yours is dealt with."

"Don't hurt him," Fa Zhen warned.

"If he stays in his place then we wouldn't have anything to be worried about now would we?"

Zhang Yun smirked in her face and walked away to the large window overlooking the pond in the side courtyard.

"Don't hold me accountable for the past actions I may have shown you. I was merely mislead to bring you into my harem by you and your brother. Whatever affections you present to me now will be considered as means to manipulate me into giving your brother power, and I will not let it sway me again. As I've told you before-- "

Before he could finish his monologue, Fa Zhen wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him close to her chest. Zhang Yun could feel her heart beating as she burrowed her face into his back. Completely taken aback by her invasion, Zhang Yun froze on the spot.

"Yun, it feels good to be near you," Fa Zhen softly whispered from behind him. Although she was a beauty fitting to a goddess, he had not once been interested in her since he awoke from the incident. But her words caused a small stir in his heart.

"What? Have you not been listening to a word I said?" Flustered, Zhang Yun tried to push her arms away, but her hold on him was too firm.

"I heard them. I just think you're spouting nonsense."

Nonsense???

"You don't trust my brother, you feel like I am in cahoots with him to bring you down. I met you before you even became Crown Prince. How could my conniving brother be so sure you'd become Crown Prince and had me fool you? If we were so keen on gaining imperial power, I would have gone along with the marriage to Fifth Prince. He was the Emperor and Empress' favored son. But no. I wanted you. I had to be with you. My intentions all along was to share a life with you as husband and wife."

"You--" Zhang Yun butted in only to be cut off by Fa Zhen.

"Now you don't even trust your own wife? The one person who had always had your best interests at heart? I don't know how to make you trust me when you won't talk to me."

"I'm--"

"You're breaking your promises to me over and over, and yet I continue to trust you and love you. It's not right. Zhang Yun, it is not right. I think you need to be more thoughtful about the people around you."

She released him slowly. Her arms dropped to her side lifelessly. Fa Zhen made her way back to the bathing room, closing the door shut.

Zhang Yun stared at the door she had gone through, in his perturbed state her words reflected a certain story he had witnessed before.

Now you don't even trust your own wife?

You're breaking your promises to me over and over...

I think you need to be more thoughtful about the people around you.

Those were almost identical to the words his mother had said to his father before she died.