Chapter 24: Beginning Again

"He's not trying to hurt me?" Fa Zhen thought about Yu Ruo's words.

Intention and actually causing harm are two different things! And he did hurt my feelings.

"I have to see Shao Gege. Xiao Tong, prepare some things for us to leave the palace."

Xiao Tong, flustered, said, "Noble Consort Mo, it's probably best you don't leave right now. Crown Prince has not been kind to you these days. I worry..."

"Worry what?"

"N-- nothing." Xiao Tong shook her head.

"Whatever, I'll leave by myself."

"Wait just a second, Noble Consort. I'll leave with you. Please don't go off on your own again."

Xiao Tong had only packed a few extra pair of clothing and some snacks. Fa Zhen wanted to gift some cookies and candies to Shao Gege knowing that he liked it when Xiao Dan baked sweets for him. Fa Zhen wasn't much of a cook like Xiao Dan, so she had the palace cooks prepared them instead.

Just about to take a step outside Lai Xue, two guards stepped in front of Fa Zhen and Xiao Tong.

"What are you doing?" Fa Zhen stared at them. Impatient, she looked as though she wanted to wave them away with one hand and let them be picked away by a force of wind.

"Noble Consort, Crown Prince has ordered us to not let you leave your living quarters."

"He what?"

"Unless given permission by Crown Prince, Noble Consort is not to take a step outside her home."

"So you're going to stop me? With these?" Fa Zhen pointed to the spears in their hands.

"We wouldn't dare."

"I dare you." She took another step. And another. They both looked at each other, unsure of what to do.

"We apologize, Noble Consort."

They both lunged at her, dropping their weapons onto the ground. Each guard grabbed her by the arms and carried her back into her chambers, not without Fa Zhen kicking and struggling to get free.

She couldn't muster up her inner energy to set the two flying. She felt useless not being able to attack the two mortal men, but nevertheless she was still recovering.

I can't just randomly fight them. Even as the sister of the capable General Mo Shao, Xiao Dan never learned martial arts... Who would have thought they'd actually lay their hands on me?!

They gently set her on her bed and retreated back to their guarding posts. Xiao Tong, shocked by the whole thing, rushed to Fa Zhen's side.

"Noble Consort, are you all right?"

"Ah, I'm fine. Just... a bit surprised."

"Oh, I'm glad you're fine. Those men! I'll have them punished."

"Forget it. Zhang Yun doesn't want me to leave because he doesn't trust me. It's best to stay hidden for a while."

"Noble Consort... what happened between you and Crown Prince at Qing Tian cliff? Why is he treating you so coldly now?"

That was also something Fa Zhen wanted to know. All she knew was that Zhang Yun did not trust Shao Gege's control over the army, and considered her to be in on a plan to thwart his Crown Prince position. But why and how did he come to that conclusion?

Over in the Crown Prince's study, Yuan awaited Zhang Yun's request.

"How is Yu Ruo doing?"

"Answering your Highness, the Imperial Physician has visited her every week to check on the stability of the child, and they both seem to be doing well."

"Fine."

"..."

"What?"

"Is your Highness... not going to ask about Noble Consort Mo?"

With a loud, agitated sigh, Zhang Yun said, "I don't want to know."

"Today, Noble Consort Mo tried to leave the palace again."

"To see General Mo, I'm assuming."

"That I'm not sure..."

"Fine."

Zhang Yun continued to gracefully place his brush onto the white paper. Each stroke light but leaving dark words onto the pale parchment.

"..."

"What is it, Yuan?"

"Doesn't your Highness... want to spend some time with Noble Consort Mo?"

Furiously setting down the brush, its wooden end made a loud smack on the desk.

"Why would I want to spend time with her?"

"It's just that spending time with her can help you regain your memories. It's odd that most of the memories you've lost are of Noble Consort Mo. As to keep your condition a secret, it would be best to keep the same appearances as you've done in the past."

"So you're saying, in the past I spent a lot of my time with this Noble Consort?"

"Uh, yes, your Highness. You spent almost every night at her residence."

"I-- Ugh. I can't believe I did that."

Zhang Yun had known for months of General Mo Shao's plans to use the imperial army to invade other nations and bring the empire to war. His strong objections to unnecessary bloodshed had been made obvious in the royal court. The reason behind General Shao's devilish ambitions was to probably run the empire to the ground. After all, Zhang Yun knew the truth behind the orphaned Mo sibling's father's death. He suspected General Shao knew as well, and wanted to take revenge upon the royal family and had his sister con her way into Zhang Yun's harem. Although sure of his current irritation for General Shao, Zhang Yun did not remember what his feelings were for Xiao Dan.

"Your Highness, I understand you may feel duped. As I have followed you for years... I could tell you were happy spending time with Noble Consort Mo, and she also seemed sincere."

"How can you be so sure? What if she knew that the Emperor was the one who ordered her father to be killed?"

"I do not know if she is aware. But I know you cared enough about her that you didn't let her know of General Shao's unruliness. Kept it hidden so that she would be free of the emotional disturbance."

"She could easily find out. Matters within the palace does not stay hidden for long."

"If she was truly involved then yes, she'd probably knew. But you see... Noble Consort Mo has no interest in government affairs, and is completely unaware of many things that even an outsider civilian would be familiar with..."

"So she's kind of a blockhead."

"Uh, your Highness said it... not me."

After pondering at the thought of spending some time with Mo Xiao Dan, Zhang Yun decided it wouldn't be too bad. If others found out that he had lost parts of his memory, they'd definitely use it to their advantage. He also figured he had to get down to the bottom of Xiao Dan's loyalty.

"I'll pay her a visit tonight."