Chapter 22: Plight Of Memories

Awaking in his bed, Zhang Yun, dazed and confused, called out, "Yuan?"

Immediately entering the chambers, Yuan was ready to comply, "Yes, your Highness?"

"How did I get here?" Zhang Yun removed the padded blanket off of him, positioning himself to the side of the bed.

"Your Highness, you've gotten hurt from falling off Qing Tian cliff and have been sleeping for three days. Because of the present blood at the time, the Imperial Physician examined your head but found no wound. However, being submerged in water took a toll on your body."

"What? What was I doing at Qing Tian cliff?"

"Your Highness, you-- Don't you remember? You went looking for Noble Consort Mo."

"Who is that?"

In the residence of Noble Consort Mo, Fa Zhen had also been recuperating for the past three days. An inkling of feeling led Fa Zhen to believe Zhang Yun had awakened, and she rose from her tub of warm water, eager to go see him. There was a connection she could feel just faintly that the Crown Prince was well. She had wished to stay at his side, but after giving away more than half her cultivation to save his life, she found it hard to stay in Xiao Dan's body. Almost as if the body was rejecting her presence. The best way for her to heal and make up for her loss of cultivation was to allow her body to absorb water.

During their life and death ordeal, she had not realize that her pearl entered Zhang Yun's body. Mermaid pearls hold their life essence and were powerful and unique in its own beneficial way. Some pearls held power of water control, telepathy, strength, and defense. Many Mermaid Immortals were often killed and have their pearls poached for the conniving and evil that existed in the darkness within the Nine Heavens. Mermaid Immortals who had been kidnapped and slaughtered was one of the main reason the rebellion against the Heaven Tribe was ignited.

With great haste, Fa Zhen clothed herself, and asked for Xiao Tong.

"Yes, Noble Consort?"

"Has the Crown Prince awaken?"

"Yes, Noble Consort Mo! I was on my way to tell you."

"Great, I'm going to go visit him right now."

"But Noble Consort, your hair hasn't dried--"

Fa Zhen disappeared in a gust of wind. Xiao Tong thought to herself that Noble Consort had taken a bath early this morning, but her hair was still wet till this late afternoon.

Had she taken another bath?

Fa Zhen ran up to the gates of Zhang Yun's living quarters. Two guards blocked her path with their spears crossed in front.

"What do you think you're doing?" Annoyed, Fa Zhen questioned the lowly guards.

"Noble Consort Mo, Crown Prince has ordered us to not let anyone enter. Although he has awaken, he does not want to be disturbed."

"If he heard you say that to me, he would be furious enough to execute you on the spot. Let me in!"

The other guard said, "Please Noble Consort Mo, we cannot go against his Highness. Please don't make this hard for us."

"Hmph..." Fa Zhen turned to walk away but was not going to give up. As soon as the two guards returned to their standard pose, Fa Zhen quickly ran inside before they could stop her. She ran all the way into Zhang Yun's chambers, her dripping wet hair marking her path.

"Zhang Yun!"

Zhang Yun was sitting at his desk talking to Yuan. They both turn their attention to Fa Zhen.

"Noble Consort Mo, his Highness would like to be alone right--"

"It's fine. You can go," Zhang Yun said coldy.

"Yes, your Highness." Yuan bowed and left the room.

"Zhang Yun, I--" Fa Zhen held her tongue, for a stinging sensation stabbed her neck. Zhang Yun had reached for his sword and held it to Fa Zhen's throat. His eyes filled with doubt, there was no love nor compassion.

"Did you come to finish what you couldn't do at Qing Tian Lake? To kill me?"

What? Kill you? I wouldn't do that. What's gotten into you, Zhang Yun?